Foods that make you feel full

Options
2»

Replies

• indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a good one for a snack - always makes me feel full :) and I load up on veggies!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Piece of cheese and an apple always does the trick for me.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I think it’s an individual thing. Personally, I find a mix of protein and fiber very helpful.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Black Beans and Squash are really really filling for the low amount of calories you have to eat. Snap peas are another low calorie but filling snack that is easy on the tummy.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make a big gallon of unsweetened tea! In the afternoons I get hungry and for some reason it helps to drink a couple of glasses along with lemon water too.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yeah, satiety can vary by the individual, so best to note how you react to different foods.

In general, you’ll often see it said that the holy trinity of satiety are fat, fiber, and protein. That’s definitely the case for me too. I don’t need all 3, but 2 last longer for me than just 1, and all 3 are delicious satisfaction.

One food that I only recently tried for the first time is brown rice. I know, way late to that. ;) White rice never filled me up, and when I looked at the stats for brown rice, it had only a little more fiber. I didn’t bother trying it for the longest time bc, on paper, it didn’t seem like it would make a noticeable difference. But oh it did! I guess it’s also the additional fat it has. Whatever it is, I’m glad I tried it and learned its effect on me.

Beans fill me up for a long time especially if paired with meat or fat, so does high-protein dairy (like Greek yogurt), and meat. When I say fills me up for a long time, I’m talking about 6/7 hours. If I have a hamburger for an early lunch (around 11 am), I’m not the least bit hungry again until after 5.

In the recipe section here, there’s a low calorie protein cheesecake that I find both delicious and filling. I use low fat rather than nonfat ingredients bc those fill me up more and taste better to me.

A high protein meal (30 g +) for my first meal of the day that also includes some fat is a major appetite suppressant for me. That’s the easiest, most sure-fire way for me to have a low calorie day.

(I’m very short, not active in my daily life, and don’t have that much to lose. MFP lists my maintenance calories in the 1500’s, so to create a decent deficit even after adding some exercise in the mix, eating in the 1300s works best for me. So I’ve had to really pay attention to what gives my body the most satiety bang for the fewest calorie bucks.)

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater, so high volumes of calorically sparse foods are usually what keeps me satiated. Fats do nothing for me, I can eat thousands of calories of fats, and still be hungry (same holds true for protein).
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fats and protein! My go to breakfast right now is a scrambled egg (in either grapeseed or olive oil) with half and avocado and 2T of salsa. Around 200 calories depending on the size of the avocado and keeps me full until lunch. To be fair, I sit at a desk during the day, so I would probably double the eggs and add some additional veggies if I was working out in the morning.
  • tpspiege
    tpspiege Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fiber makes you feel full and as a population in general we are way short of where we should be ... having to learn this the hard way personally (some lingering GI issues attributed to not having sufficient fiber in my diet for too many years) the average adult should be consuming 35+grams of fiber (supported by MFP daily targets).

Metamucil is mixed in with my first glass of wake up water each morning (I prefer the Metamucil free due to my sensitivity with artificial sweetners) and another 2tsp mixed glass before dinner (helps control portion consumption at dinner).

Then each day I pick a couple fiber sources to incorporate between meals ... oranges, apples, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cantelope, watermelon, honeydew, pineapple. Yes they all have sugar, but naturally produced and low calorie when eaten in moderation.

As I'm tracking via MFP if I find I'm still coming up short with the combination of the above and what's in my actual 'meals' then I toss down a couple FiberWell gummies.

I'm down over 50lbs in 15months as a slow and steady sustainable change and I genuinely believe this time I can keep things where I want over the long term with no "diet food", but a healthy change to ensuring I consume at least that 35g of fiber. When I'm tracking my fiber I find my calorie levels are also usually in check and I honestly don't have the lingering hunger pains that would cause me to revert back to bad choices in the past.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Protein sources like yoghurt and cottage cheese for when I need a snack, for breakfast oats keep me full for the longest, and giant servings of soup for dinner (loaded with veggies and a protein source such as chicken or tofu).
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't think I have felt 'full' for a long time, closest I have got was during self designed peanut/peanut butter aversion therapy experiment. But I stopped as was not sure what effect the peanut butter would have on my system.
  • Ecaswick
    Ecaswick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs with 1/4 cup salsa and 2 corn tortillas. Or 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and diced tomatoes on a slice of whole wheat toast. Either I occasionally throw a little low fat cheese or a couple avocado slices on. Those little meals keep me full for a good 4 hours.