Does vitamin D3 disrupt sleep?

Options
I’m on 5000 IUs daily to correct an insufficiency and at first I didn’t think about when I was taking the pills, then I read something on the internet (not a doctor) that said to always take D3 at night because it’s really a hormone, blah blah. And because I like random internet advice better than medical sources, I started to take at night. Whoa, sleep, where have you gone? Some of the worst nights sleep ever. So I went back to AM and things got better (but I never sleep great). I recently took some in the afternoon again and same sleepless nights.
I know it’s not enough evidence to make a real cause effect, so I’m asking for more anecdotal evidence here.
Anyone else notice a difference in sleep patterns depending on what time you take a D3 supplement?

Replies

• asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ive never noticed a difference a difference in how well I sleep, I don't have a set time I take it though. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No difference for me either
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would not be the one to ask. Any little thing can disrupt my sleep. E at night makes me "racy" for some reason though.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It effects my sleep for sure,I take it in the morning and notice a slight energy boost but it does seem to linger into my night too
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've always taken it at night right before bed and haven't found it to affect my sleep. I take anywhere from 2000-20,000 IUs at a time. I think I'm going to start taking it in the morning since it's fat soluble and I always have eggs for breakfast though. I will update if I notice that my sleep changes because of this.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am on 5,000 IU now and was on prescription 50,000 IU. Never noticed a difference with sleep.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Even though the consensus seems to be that it doesn’t affect anyone else’s sleep, if you feel like you sleep better taking it in the morning, you might as well take it in the morning.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Cholecalciferol is not a CNS depressant or stimulant...no direct effect
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It does that for some people. Try taking it in the morning for two or three days and see how you feel. Take it with oil/fat like eggs or yogurt.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’m on 5000 a day for a deficiency. I take it in the morning and have no trouble sleeping.
  • MJsStory
    MJsStory Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 IU daily and a bolster dose of 55000 IU every other week. My doctor says to always take within an hour of waking up.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If I take it I take it in the morning. I’ve never heard that there’s a specific time you’re supposed to take it. Sometimes I take melatonin in the evening especially if I need to go to sleep earlier. If you’re sleep is disruptive or you have trouble falling asleep it’s worth a try.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I take D3 with my evening meal and haven't had a problem but I did with magnesium, limbs felt like energy had drained but a racing heartbeat made me feel a bit panicky and I'm not the type to panic so I didn't like it. This seemed ridiculous and common sense told me it was coincidence. But after the 6th or 7th time I took some notice and stopped taking it. If you don't have a problem with your D3 in the morning then take it then.

I don't know why someone woo'ed this,,a lot of people have different reactions to magnesium,also depends on the type taken
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I take D3 with my evening meal and haven't had a problem but I did with magnesium, limbs felt like energy had drained but a racing heartbeat made me feel a bit panicky and I'm not the type to panic so I didn't like it. This seemed ridiculous and common sense told me it was coincidence. But after the 6th or 7th time I took some notice and stopped taking it. If you don't have a problem with your D3 in the morning then take it then.

I found the same thing when taking a multivitamin every evening, I had trouble sleeping just because I was so panicky. Maybe a placebo but I stopped and felt a lot better.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The last time my vitamin d was tested (about a month ago) it was 6. Which is just about as bad as it gets without being 0. I am taking prescription supplements and out in the sun as much as possible. I don't notice any difference with my sleep pattern. I go to bed between 11 and midnight every night, as per usual.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I would take it first thing in the morning if it affects your sleep.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about synchronicity. I have been googling exactly the same thing. I'm on supplements of d3 and calcium because I have osteoporosis. I've aways been a bit of an insomniac and I hoped they might improve my sleep (as everything I'd previously read suggested it would) but instead I'm getting even less sleep and, weirdly, don't even feel tired! I plan to cut out the supplements for a couple of days and see what happens. From what I can gather, vit d changes the production of melatonin
  • jnapier44077
    jnapier44077 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Vit D for awhile now. I was diagnosed as low also after bloodwork testing. I definitely have a lot more energy from taking it. I have had more trouble sleeping since I started taking. The benefits outweigh that one downside though. I just feel so much better during the day. I might start taking a melatonin at night.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Take in morning.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow, the timing of this post is weird! I've been taking 5000 daily for almost a year. I always take it in the morning but my sleep has been just awful. This morning as I was getting ready for work I decided I should google sleep issues with vit d and see what I found. I haven't had time to do a search yet but it appears there may be a link from these other responses. Not sure what I can change since I already take it in the morning but I guess it may be enough to know why I'm having troubles sleeping.