Staying awake troubles

Options
2»

Replies

• plythacur
    plythacur Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I’m an afternoon slump person as well. For getting past it I’ve found that I need a good restful night of sleep, to get most of my caffeine in the late morning/early afternoon, and to eat lunches which don’t have much in the way of simple carbs but have a decent amount of protein. I also frequently work out during my lunch hour and that will keep me peppy all afternoon. I also have naturally low blood iron (an iron deficiency will definitely make you very fatigued) and need to supplement sometimes, but you would need to see a doctor and get a blood test for that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Discuss with doctor, and I would ask this doctor to check my Vitamin B12 levels in addition to whatever other possibilities they wish to investigate. The time of day you're crashing is very familiar to me, let's say. If you are on any medications, see if they are ones that can deplete B vitamins in your body. A pharmacist should be able to answer that quickly.
  • Spaffdavidson
    Spaffdavidson Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would go to your doctor and get it checked out. I was feeling the same way and it ended up that my iron was very very low.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What kind of lunches are you having? What is your protein intake like?

I'm replying to keep bumping, hoping some other (much smarter) people hop on soon to offer other ideas. Haha

I also want to know what @nursingnerd2019 has for lunch. For example, foods made from wheat flour (regular bread) make me sleepy, as do meals that have too much carbs in relationship to protein.

This reaction to flour is of course not universally true, but it's not exceedingly rare either.

I don't have this problem when I eat bread made from sprouted grains, for example from brands like Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery. I can find Ezekial in the freezer section of all the local grocery stores.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    In addition to the thoughtful input above, be sure you are staying adequately hydrated, but not over-hydrated so that your electrolytes are messed up. Either over- or under-hydration can bring on the sleep.