Taking my first diet break.

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    This week will start my first diet break. I have a few days left of prepped meals. So after that I will begin eating at maintenance for 2 weeks. I'm a little nervous because I've never intentionally eaten at maintenance before. I'm scared that I won't come back from the break. I still have around 30lbs to lose. I have been in a constant deficit now for 3 months and just feel like it's time. My workouts have been suffering this week and I'm a bit more tired than usual. So wish me luck.

OUTSTANDING! I think that 'the unknown' is scaring you. Meaning, that you have been so tuned into the "count this, watch that" mindset to keep within the caloric deficit that you are maybe obsessing a little bit about this. Maintenance is not a free-for-all!

Yes, ma'am! Maintenance is not a free-for-all. Honestly, the only things that change are:
    1. The number of calories per day, while now a little higher than before, are still the goal
    2. You will be able to enjoy a little bit more "carbs" than before [typically, maintenance is achieved by adding more carbs to get you from deficit to maintenance....but, that is not a hard and fast rule....you can add fats or proteins, too].

So, maybe just look at this two-week time frame as "diet, just a little less stress involved".

And, might I ask why you are doing two weeks?

And, follow up question to my first question - have you ever done a re-feed? A re-feed is typically two successive days during your caloric deficit where you get to eat at maintenance. It offers some physical relief but also helps a ton, mentally!

And, finally - is your fear of not going back to the caloric deficit because of the "two weeks at maintenance" (read: specifically, such a long time frame....two weeks, in your case) or for some other reason?

2 weeks is what has been recommended by everyone I have spoken to and nearly every thing I have read about diet breaks. Diet breaks have been proven effective and I even read a study the other day claiming that refeeds are not as effective as a diet break and in some cases not effective at all. The reason it scared me is because I like to eat not the counting. I still was counting on my diet break and know it's not a free for all. It's maintenance for my current weight. The purpose is to get hormones back in check from a long period of being in a deficit. I also didn't cut carbs although I did eat more carbs on the diet break because I also ate more calories.

Awesome. Everyone is different.....for some people, at some times a re-feed does wonders. For others, maybe not so much. And, a diet break (as well as a training break) is often a good idea when one has been dieting for a long time (and maybe has stalled). Keep the mental side of things in mind, too! :-)

I was just curious as to the two weeks. Hey, if that works for you, all good! If one month works for you....all good! Everyeone is different. And, if you have never done one (a diet break) then it is not a bad idea to start with two weeks and adjust, if necessary, as you approach the end of that time frame!

I would be interested in knowing how this works for you!

https://www.student-aesthetics.com/articles/diet-breaks-to-keep-losing-fat-explained/

Here's an article that explains why I chose the path I did. Honestly, I haven't had a problem mentally with coping or feeling deprived throughout the deficit. I only got a little sad today because I can't eat as much ice cream as I have been. That is literally my only weakness. Quitting Mt. Dew was easy, I didn't think it would be but it was. Watching what I eat is easy. I have not felt deprived. I budget my calories and make adjustments for family functions. It's really not much effort. It's just like a job or owning a home. You do what you need to do to function at optimal levels.

Impressive. Most people seem to struggle with all of the things that you mentioned. Hey, you know your weakness (ice cream). You are ahead of the game. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Ended my break on Tuesday, today is Friday and I have lost 1.2lbs already. I have also been eating more than I was before the break by 200 calories. I think I may actually be more active than I thought.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had a month diet break. Not by design, but we went on a month vacation. I gained about 3.5 pounds during this time.