WW vs MFP/Counting Calories- Please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    mezchick wrote: »
    @lynn_glenmont she was going to change my calories / macros after 2 weeks. The goal was for me to be able to do 2 weeks then move to new numbers.

But why? Surely your body isn't going to change so much in two weeks that a different set of calories and macros would be appropriate? This really doesn't make sense except, with all due respect, to create a reason for you to come back and pay her more money. You need to find something you can stick with, and not just for two weeks. Did she explain why this calorie level and macro split is right for you for two weeks, but won't be right for you after that?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll I was told not to eat my back calories but maybe I will try eating half of them and see if that helps on workout days. I do OrangeTheory about 2x per week and lift 2-3 days a week.

That's a LOT of working out. Do try eating back at least half. It should be a big help in terms of compliance. I'd also really strongly suggest upping your carb intake with that much activity.

I know that some people can become well adapted to working out and being low carb, but for many others, it's a recipe for disaster. If you're dietitian is recommending a lower carb approach for faster weight loss do know that fast weight loss while low carb is about water weight. Carbs give you the glycogen stores you need to fuel your activity. I'd cut back my protein a bit and eat a few more healthy carbs if I were you.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont she was going to change my calories / macros after 2 weeks. The goal was for me to be able to do 2 weeks then move to new numbers.

But why? Surely your body isn't going to change so much in two weeks that a different set of calories and macros would be appropriate? This really doesn't make sense except, with all due respect, to create a reason for you to come back and pay her more money. You need to find something you can stick with, and not just for two weeks. Did she explain why this calorie level and macro split is right for you for two weeks, but won't be right for you after that?

If I had to hazard a guess, she has her on lower carb for a two week water weight whoosh then is going to up her carbs.

Just spit balling though.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The way out of a restrict / binge cycle is to restrict less so you don't get hungry enough to binge.

Your nutritionist's plan sounds frankly dippy, and if you are unable to comply with it, it isn't working for you. Weight watchers isn't working for you either, because the point of "free foods" isn't license to eat too many calories, it's supposed to encourage you to fill up on lower calorie foods so you stay in a deficit. Clearly that doesn't work that way for you. (It doesn't for most people.)

Eat more than 1500 calories a day, and eat back your exercise calories which you absolutely ARE SUPPOSED TO EAT BACK. The only valid reason not to eat all of them back is fear of overestimating exercise burn, which is a reason to be cautious and check your expected rate of loss against reality long term, not to starve yourself into a bigger deficit.

It may take you a while to figure out the sweet spot for you. For me, anything under 1600 gross calories a day and I could eat my own left arm. Some people are able to manage on more, some less. I would suggest eating at maintenance for a week just to break out of the cycle, then reduce gradually.
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this may sound silly, but since you're working with a nutritionist, why don't you ask him/her to change your plan? Usually a nutritionist will give a plan that thinks is best for you, then adjust it if he/she sees it's not working... You can say ask them why so many protein, you can tell them you are exercising a lot and always hungry, they should be able to change your plan according to your needs...