For those early risers

Options
So I have always been an early riser, I love working out first thing in the morning.
I recently changed my gym and workout programme as I felt bad for getting early and possibly waking my neighbours, so I now go to the gym later in the morning.
I can’t say that I am happy and considering going back to my early morning routine. I ensure I am as quiet as I can be when I start the car, close the front door etc.

For those, like me, who like to get their fitness done early does it bother
You that you may be disturbing the neighbors?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lived in an apartment with thin walls and every morning there was a vigorous rhythmic thumping coming from next door. The intensity and duration was just too sustained to be babymaking. I finally figured it out. It was a fitness routine.

Other than activating my hyperactive imagination the noise next doors did not disturb me.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I lived in an apartment with thin walls and every morning there was a vigorous rhythmic thumping coming from next door. The intensity and duration was just too sustained to be babymaking. I finally figured it out. It was a fitness routine.

Other than activating my hyperactive imagination the noise next doors did not disturb me.

That is funny
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Wish you were my neighbor.

I’m retired but I still like to get up early. Before he moved my next door neighbor was a police officer. I heard him leave the house at 5:00 every morning headed for the gym. God bless him.

Do what you gotta do to take care of yourself. Be considerate, but you get to live too.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Wish you were my neighbor.

I’m retired but I still like to get up early. Before he moved my next door neighbor was a police officer. I heard him leave the house at 5:00 every morning headed for the gym. God bless him.

Do what you gotta do to take care of yourself. Be considerate, but you get to live too.

This is awesome advice, thank you! I am very considerate of others, I would hate to think that I would disturb people’s sleep. But early mornings are my thing...so I guess i gotta do what suits me
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    So I have always been an early riser, I love working out first thing in the morning.
    I recently changed my gym and workout programme as I felt bad for getting early and possibly waking my neighbours, so I now go to the gym later in the morning.
    I can’t say that I am happy and considering going back to my early morning routine. I ensure I am as quiet as I can be when I start the car, close the front door etc.

For those, like me, who like to get their fitness done early does it bother
    You that you may be disturbing the neighbors?

I gather you share walls or live very close? You could always ask your neighbors if they can hear you and if that level of noise bothers them.

I live in a house and the neighbor's homes are not super close so I am not worried tbat they are not going to hear anything I do in my home. We live by a busy street so cars go by at any hour.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I doubt they care. Unless anyone has been complaining, I say carry on my friend.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do your thing! Sounds like you’re being conscious to leave quietly, that’s showing respect. But you have to respect yourself and if getting your workout in early makes you happy, just do it!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. ( See what I did there lol!) Do what you wanna do As long as you are not slamming doors or honking horns. You pay rent or a mortgage to live there most likely so you have every right to get up early and go to the gym. As long as your being respectful and considerate, do what you have to do. I wouldn't worry about it. You are entitled to go to the gym at whatever time you wish.

I wake up at 4:45 /5:15 most mornings and am at the gym by 5:45. Some nights I don't get in until 1am. If the neighbors don't like hearing my car start then they should move to a more rural area. I pay rent so therefore can come and go as I please. I am always as quiet as possible though. No car radio loud until I've left the driveway and such.

Have the neighbors complained?
    If not and it really bothers you maybe talk to them about it and let them know that you would like to leave for the gym early and hope that you are not bothering anyone and for them to call you if ever it becomes a prob.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    as long as you leave promptly and dont spend 15 mins idling the car and chatting on your phone in the street, then no one will care .... the car door closing might momentarily wake them, but then you are gone
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've never been bothered by my neighbor. The only one who occasionally bothers me is the 4.44am one because, on the rare occasions when I'm sleeping downstairs, my dog will see him and bark at him. But it's my problem, not his.

I mean, lots of people leave/come early to work too, that's never been a problem. The only thing that could be a problem is doing a routine in an apartment at 4am with people living downstairs.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Because of my lifestyle I must wake up at 445 before the rest of the house and get up and exercise while everyone is sleeping. Right now it is what I must do. I don't live in an apartment but I do run in my neighborhood and sometimes people's dog bark at me...but other than that I don't bother anyone.
    I say continue doing what you are doing. I lived in apts for years and never complained as long as people were respectful. if you aren't jamming music all hours you should be fine. Also, maybe speak to your neighbors upstairs and down if you are concerned and make sure you are disturbing them. Most people understand apt living isn't ideal when everyone isn't on the same schedule.