What do you think?

Options

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you estimate that you burn when you run 5k?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    In your method as described, the first number is not relevant to anything at all.

The second is what you have eaten and logged

The third is what you have burned for the day from exercise plus being alive (btw you need to multiply BMR by an activity factor to accounting stuff that burns more than BMR but is not formally recorded exercise)

To lose weight the second number has to be smaller than the third!!

The fourth is again not relevant to you.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    teranga79 wrote: »
    This may well be the most confusing post I've ever read on here (and I read a lot of them!) Fwiw, if I'm understanding the OP correctly, I predict a pretty rapid weight gain as those numbers are just ridiculous.

That's what I was thinking. If the OP is eating 3000 calories worth, but only burning 2800 or so... it's not going to be rapid weight gain, but there's going to be weight gain.

And, it's hard to say whether that's actually a 2800-calorie burn. They say they run and cycle, but not how much.
  • beatthebinge3464
    beatthebinge3464 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 for HR tracking and calorie burn
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Lets see; when MFP completes my day it completes it off of my info entered. So, its taking into account the 3000 calories I have consumed and the 2800 calories I have burned through exercise and bmr...

Taking those numbers at face value... no that will not lead to weight loss.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    OP's approach is fine (her numbers may not be, but her approach is fine). She's basically doing TDEE, just not explaining it very well.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Well, I am down 5.2 pounds

That's great. This is water weight. Think it through. You're weighing weekly. To lose 5.2 lbs of fat in a week, you'd have to create a deficit of 2600 calories per day. You're eating 3000 calories a day so you'd have to burn 5600 calories every single day. Does that sound right to you?

This. Unless the deficit is that great -- which we know by it isn't, at least based on what the OP said -- it's mostly water.

When you see losses that great, you need to step back and do the math. Did you have a deficit of 2600 calories a day? If you didn't, you didn't lose 5.2 pounds of fat.