Starting this today

Thoughts?
Tips?

Any helpful info appreciated

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Some more thoughtful/direct questions would help. But generally speaking, there's nothing magical or special about it. If it help you stay on track with your diet and/or workouts, then it's probably good for you. If it doesn't, then it probably isn't.

In and of itself, it won't make 1 lick of difference.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter whether you eat small meals all day long or one big meal a day, it is the amount of calories are what really matter.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    There are no tips. It is simple. If eating breakfast makes you hungrier through the day you should probably skip it. If NOT eating breakfast makes you miserable you should eat it. If it doesn't make any difference choose whether you want 3 meals or 2 larger meals a day.

16:8 is just a fancy (mostly nonsense) way of saying you don't plan to eat breakfast.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before 10am or after 8pm and it has worked for me. I stopped logging and being so obsessed with counting calories and macros at the same time and haven't gained despite feeling more freedom with my diet which can feel a bit kind of scary/out of control.

The reason it works for me is my personal times that I'll pick/eat mindlessly/be a little piglet is before "official" breakfast and after my evening meal...not eating before/after those times reduces my potential calories.

Good luck.
  • DadBodClub
    DadBodClub Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before 10am or after 8pm and it has worked for me. I stopped logging and being so obsessed with counting calories and macros at the same time and haven't gained despite feeling more freedom with my diet which can feel a bit kind of scary/out of control.

The reason it works for me is my personal times that I'll pick/eat mindlessly/be a little piglet is before "official" breakfast and after my evening meal...not eating before/after those times reduces my potential calories.

Good luck.

Thank you!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've been intuitively doing 16:8 long before it was a trendy thing or even had the Intermittent Fasting label.

I bought into the whole "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" mantra when that was popular and used to force myself to eat breakfast when I wasn't in the slightest bit hungry. What I did find was that the first meal of the day (whenever it was) tended to 'wake up' my appetite and I would then eat throughout the rest of the day. And gain weight.

When I realized the ridiculousness of eating food I wasn't hungry for, things turned around rather dramatically. I started skipping breakfast entirely, other than a cuppa coffee. Also found that I didn't get *genuinely* hungry until around 1:00 in the afternoon, so that's when I'd eat my lunch.

Skipping breakfast allowed me the caloric wiggle room to eat a good lunch and dinner, as well as have a few snacks in the evening, and lose weight steadily, safely and predictably.

There's no magic in I.F. though. No super special fat burning voodoo. It's merely a method for some people to better control caloric intake for weight management.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I've been intuitively doing 16:8 long before it was a trendy thing or even had the Intermittent Fasting label.

I bought into the whole "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" mantra when that was popular and used to force myself to eat breakfast when I wasn't in the slightest bit hungry. What I did find was that the first meal of the day (whenever it was) tended to 'wake up' my appetite and I would then eat throughout the rest of the day. And gain weight.

When I realized the ridiculousness of eating food I wasn't hungry for, things turned around rather dramatically. I started skipping breakfast entirely, other than a cuppa coffee. Also found that I didn't get *genuinely* hungry until around 1:00 in the afternoon, so that's when I'd eat my lunch.

Skipping breakfast allowed me the caloric wiggle room to eat a good lunch and dinner, as well as have a few snacks in the evening, and lose weight steadily, safely and predictably.

There's no magic in I.F. though. No super special weight burning voodoo. It's merely a method for some people to better manage caloric intake for weight management.

Same for me. However, I do about 3 cups of coffee with sugar free creamer. The caffeine tends to suppress my appetite. Still less than 100 cals before 1PM leaves lots of cals for a good lunch, dinner and snack.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It does amaze me how many people think that it is wrong to not eat breakfast....someone was telling me that the other day and I said I still love breakfast foods such as eggs so now I have them for lunch or supper once in a while. You can enjoy foods such as cereal, eggs, pancakes, etc. anytime of the day doesn't have to always be in the morning.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

Good luck.

This is exactly what I do, I cut out the times when I would eat and wasn't hungry. So eating between 10 and 8 has helped cut out the snacking calories and allowed me room for a higher calorie dinner.