To gym or not to gym

Options
13»

Replies

• geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The summer membership is a good way to test out whether the gym will be worth the expense. I am a gym person. I get motivation from seeing the others workout. For cardio I'm using outside exercise; biking, walking or hiking.
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've never felt judged at the gym I go to...but..it's at work so there are only co-workers there. For me, the gym has all the equipment that I need. They have all the dumbbells from one pound up to the there is no way I can lift that pounds. (honestly I haven't looked higher than 45 pounds and they have heavier). They have all the weight machine, the blocks for steps, elliptical, stair steppers, treadmills, Jacob's ladder, captains chair for abs and dips. The machine I call the assisted pull up machine. Smith machine, Torque machine. Just all sorts of stuff that I could never afford to have and don't have the space for.

I go every single day. Sometimes twice/day.

For me, If I did have everything I needed at home, I still wouldn't work out there. I would start thinking about all the stuff that needed done and I would quit and do those instead.

Get a one month membership and give it a try. If it doesn't work out, then no biggie.
  • perniciousrsb
    perniciousrsb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started year three of my slow weight loss journey. The first year was just diet-focused. The second year, I added routine walking most days. Then it got waaaaaaaaay too cold to walk where I live and I joined a gym. I was absolutely nervous about being "the big girl" but that hasn't been a problem in the least. I'm at a Planet Fitness because it's close and cheap. I just realized the other day that I'm 6 months into my membership and have been almost every day -- in part because I hate wasting money, and in part because I've found a way to work it into my morning routine. I never thought I'd be a gym person but now I really like the routine. I also like the variety (cardio options and weights). The dedicated time to listen to cheesy podcasts is a plus.