Stomach problems and diet

Options
To all: I am having major stomach problems; a consequence of which is I'm having a diagnostic procedure done by my gastroenterologist in a week. My question is this: If I go on an all-liquid diet, can I remain healthy if my diet consists largely of Ensure Plus nutrition shakes? I do have about 20 lbs to lose. But my main concern now is not eating solid foods that irritate my stomach. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is the all-liquid diet on the recommendation of your doctor? If so, they should be giving you guidance about what to include to make sure you're getting what you need.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest a liquid only diet unless your doctor recommends it and gives you a good regiment to stick with. What brought on the stomach problems? Did you change something in your diet and immediately noticed problems? Did you fall off a strict diet regiment? I know that if I am eating clean for 8-12 weeks the first time I have processed food my stomach does loops for days. After about a week it will return to normal. Hopefully its nothing serious.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are otherwise healthy there is not much harm you can do to yourself in a week. My biggest concern is that you mentioned weight loss which should not have been in the conversation at all.

If you are determined to go a different course there is no reason to resort to extreme solutions though. There are plenty of easy to digest and/or soft foods available if you want to experiment for a few days.

You really should call your doctor. For all you know he/she may want you eating normally for a reason.

• librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To all: Gearhead426 asked: "What brought on the stomach problems?" I've been taking alleve recently to get rid of tension headaches (tylenol doesn't work as well.) I think alleve has caused the stomach problems but I'm not sure. Your continued thoughts are welcome!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Both Histamine and Salicylate intolerances can cause headaches. Its a bit of a minefield out there, everyone seems to have a take on them these days. Look for sensible sites not anyone's blogs/thoughts.
  • librarian11111
    Options
    Fuzzipeg: My headaches are caused by anxiety. I'm about to change jobs (which is a good thing--but it's a big chance.) But I'm meditating every week--sometimes 3 to 4 times a week (though I know I have to do that more often.) No easy fix.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What is he testing for? If it's gastroparesis than a liquid diet would help for sure
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    All the very best for the new job. (8-51pm)

Edited to add. having read lower down the page 40 minutes later.

Histamine intolerance underpins many cases of IBS. Good Fortune to you.

I'd not wish either histamine or salicylate intolerance on anyone, they are not good, worse when they come together. The symptoms lists are long and convoluted.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating, but it might be best to put weight loss on the back burner for a while. Your body doesn't need the stress of a deficit while you're trying to heal - if Aleve is the issue than this may be more like an injury than a chronic condition. Just eat at maintenance, whatever you can tolerate, and wait for your test results.
  • librarian11111
    Options
    Springflute: I think he thinks I have irritable bowel syndrome. I am having a colonoscopy done. (Forgive me if that's TMI. Posting My symptoms would definitely fall into the TMI category.) Thanks!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when i had ulcers and stomach irritation, they still didn't put me on an ensure type diet. so unless the dr recommends it, don't do it.
    you can do soft foods, liquid, and such
    soup, mashed potatoes, yogurt and ice cream and other dairy if your stomach can tolerate. applesauce. pearsauce.
    i found soup made my stomach feel the best.
    ensure and other such things can definitely be used but i would try to be more well rounded.
    unless my dr told me what to eat. then i would eat what my dr said to eat
  • librarian11111
    Options
    Thanks mbaker566. I appreciate everyone's replies to my posts.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I would wait til you get your test results. Your doctor will be able to see what, if anything, is going on and prescribe treatment. Although you do say you're having stomach problems... are they doing an endoscopy as well? Overuse of NSAIDs can be the culprit in a stomach ulcer, but they would not be able to detect that through a colonoscopy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yeah no I don't recommend Ensure for IBS symptoms. Just wasn't sure what you meant by stomach problems lol. I'm on a mostly ensure diet because of Gastroparesis and gastroduodenal Crohn's but that's basically the only thing my body can handle. My GI didn't tell me to go on it (he is clueless about nutrition) but solid food really is a no go at this time
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I hope at some point you will also be tested for food sensitivities, if you haven't been already. My DH went through a whole year of tests including an endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, trip to the ER, and on and on. Finally got a food allergy test and determined which things he can't tolerate (and he had quite a list). Ever since eliminating those things, he's never had to go back to the doctor or had any more stomach issues. He has been issue-free for about two years.

A year and a half ago I was having stomach issues and was diagnosed with a possible ulcer, and had horrible bloating pain that would come and go. I went to the doctor several times--one time they said they thought it was depression! Finally got tested for food sensitivities and found out I am sensitive to eggs, wheat, dairy, and soy. I eliminated all of those things a couple of months ago and have felt soooo much better.

Obviously I don't know if this would play into what is going on with you, but I encourage everybody who's having stomach issues to get tested for food sensitivities. It has been life changing.