I am 5'1, need to lose 20 pounds ,cant stick to 1200 calories a day

I am just not able to stick to 1200 calories a day. Anyone feeling the same ? Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong ?

Replies

• momto3tolose10
    momto3tolose10 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have the same issue. I am 5'1 and 120 lbs early 40s. I want to lose the last 6-7 lbs . Even when I set the weekly weightloss goal to 0.5 MFP still gives me 1200 (without exercise- I choose the sedentary mode so I can add the exercise cals later) . What is the setting u all use to get it to 1300-1350.
  • momto3tolose10
    momto3tolose10 Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you @kimny72 . That helps.
  • ltoatley
    ltoatley Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you! These comments are actually very helpful. I was getting a little discouraged at the numbers not going down on the scale. mfp has me at 1200 cal too, I've been thinking I need to add weight lifting in. I'm 5'0" around 131 lbs, 52 years old. Started a year ago after a pre-diabetes diagnosis and lost 17 lbs. I'm back off the metformin for 3 months now and my a1c lab still looking normal. Been doing zumba or walking, watching what I eat and having a hard time with losing another 10-15 lbs, weight ranging between 129-132. Now I need to figure out how to work in some lifting and what exercises to include.
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    I found that eating low carb helped me stay fuller at lower calories. Also, it helps me to eat two meals a day, or 2 meals and one smaller meal. Snacking is pretty much out. Also, once I gutted through the first 3-4 days, it got a lot easier.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I do find that adding lots of veggies and fruit and plenty of protein help me feel more satisfied. If you are hungry, eat more. Log everything even if you go over your calorie goal. It makes it easier to have the data to make changes the following week if necessary.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I'm 5'1" and 133lbs and with my account set to active, I can lose a half pound a week at 1790 calories based on MFP's estimate.

Look at ways to increase your non-exercise activity. Find ways to spend less of your day sitting. Park further away. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. That kind of thing makes a big difference when you're short. Don't commit to being sedentary if you don't have to be for some medical reason.

I get at least 10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit and that allows me to set my account to active. Exercise can help a little more by eating back the calories you burn. I don't do any intentional cardio, just a progressive weight lifting program, so I don't earn calories that way. It all comes down to not being a couch potato.

Secondly, with 20 pounds to lose, choose a smaller weekly goal. A pound or half pound is perfectly acceptable, and probably a lot more realistic to sick to. Above all, accuracy when logging is important, so make sure you're choosing proper entries and measuring your food correctly (like with a food scale) so you aren't under-eating.

There are lots of ways to increase volume with lower calorie foods, and ways to adjust your macros for satiety, but I would suggest the above things first.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    I found that if I was to plan an outing with my husband and knew I would eat 700+ calories in the meal, I would do a 400+ calorie burn workout and enjoy guilt free. Remember, eating at a weight loss number every day is great, but if you eat at maintenance once in a while it should not cause you to gain weigh.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    I'm 5'1 and 129lbs

I eat around 1700 cals a day and lose about 1/2lbs /week.

My calorie allowance is 1310.

- I replaced most of my grains by veggies.
    - I drink more
    - I used to walk a lot but have now switched to cycling and I do an hour 6times a week. But at first I just walked up and down my street.
    - I allow a small treat, because I need to. Mine at the moment is a Jaffa cake ( 45cal ) with my coffee.

I used to be a serial starter and to me starvation Is just not an option. I get moody, hangry, then depressed and I binge. The few switches in my diet made the difference and then I exercise to " buy dinner ".
    My hour of cycling now gives me around 600cal. That's dinner.
  • Motor_Election
    Motor_Election Posts: 29 Member
    @Ardael that's the way to do it! When you feel like you're starving yourself, it's just not going to work in the long run. Eat (just a bit) more, find some foods to replace with better ones and exercise :smile: Allow yourself to lose the weight at a slower pace, and treat yourself while you're actually changing your lifestyle to a healthier one!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Hi @ltoatley, congrats on getting the normal A1C scores!

The site at https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/programs#wiki_resistance_training has a long list of programs, and I've picked a few choices

* Starting Strength
    * Strong Lifts 5x5
    * Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
    * PPL Program for Beginners

Read up on these four. Either do one of those or mix-and-match pieces of them to your liking based on the equipment that they have at your gym.

Do know that you will gain weight due to muscle inflammation when you start. This is normal, it's not fat, and it doesn't hurt your fat burning; but it does add to the scale for the 3-5 weeks. After that, the muscles have settled down and your fat-burning rate is outstripping the water retaining weight.
  • beachbody4l
    beachbody4l Posts: 208 Member
    I'm 5'0 and 109lbs. My maintenance level is extremely low. For me it's all about really deciding if a meal is going to keep me full for the 'price' of the calories. Is there something else I can eat that will keep me fueled without eating half of my day's worth in one sitting? I think we get so use to just eating whatever the hell we want that it really takes a bit of willpower training to look down at yourself and say "No, you really don't need that. Here's a healthier, less dense food option."
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    I sent you a friend request. I eat 1200 calories/day and my diary is open. If you are just starting out, as time goes on you will find what fills you more.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    If it feels too little, it is :smile: You can try taking it slower, and set MFP to a less steep weight loss rate.

If you don't want to do that, there is a thread around called Volume Eaters Thread. There's a lot of inspiration on foods and combinations which are low-cal, yet filling. When I was eating at a large deficit, my go-to was 7 oz of each chicken breast diced, red peppers, tomatoes, greens (spinach, rocket, salad, parsley), cucumber, plus low-fat greek yoghurt on top. The whole monster was 2 lbs and 550 - 600 cals.