Overnight Oats???

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I won't rehash the basics the people above have helpfully put, but I just wanted to mention an accidental flavour I discovered that I can't get enough of.

I was going to do apple sauce and cinnamon, but I'd run out of cinnamon, so I used mixed spice (you know the kind you get in hot cross buns) and it was AMAZING. It kind of tastes like Christmas. Totally satisfying.

Also definitely use chia seeds. I've never been satisfied right up until my lunch break before. Those little things are amazing!

The US actually doesn't have "mixed spice," although I have often wonder why there are so many blends of seasonings on the market (taco, Italian, Cajun, etc.) but not a sweet one. YOU GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK.

Try pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice. Those are usually some kind of mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, and some other spices.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Crock pot/slow cooker oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats
    3 cups water
    1 cup unsweetened almond or almond/coconut blend milk

Optional additions:
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup craisins
    1 apple cored and diced up with a few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg

Cook on low for at least 5 hours, turn off heat and let sit for an hour to finish cooking and to cool. Enjoy!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have been wanting to try the cold chia seed cereal bowl but didn't know they made an oatmeal cold thing too? I like regular oatmeal and had no idea you could eat it without cooking? Is that right? You just put it in the fridge overnight and eat it? Is the consistency the same as cooked? Understandably the temp won't be.

I just love oatmeal so much and love NOT cooking even more so if someone could clarify how the oats are NOT poisonous if they are not cooked, I'm this || close to trying them.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe here: http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

1/3 cup rolled oats
    1/3 – 1/2 cup milk [depending on how thick you like it]
    1/3 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 banana
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    Pinch salt
    Pinch cinnamon

My favorite things to put with it are almond butter, cookie butter and Uncle Sam's cereal, because I like the crunch rather than the puddingy texture.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have been wanting to try the cold chia seed cereal bowl but didn't know they made an oatmeal cold thing too? I like regular oatmeal and had no idea you could eat it without cooking? Is that right? You just put it in the fridge overnight and eat it? Is the consistency the same as cooked? Understandably the temp won't be.

I just love oatmeal so much and love NOT cooking even more so if someone could clarify how the oats are NOT poisonous if they are not cooked, I'm this || close to trying them.

It's actually kinda chewy.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Tried these for the first time this morning and OH MY LIFE they were amazing!:love:
    So much nicer than I thought.

I got my inspiration from the receipe and comments on nicsnutrician.com (a UK blogger & Registered Dietitian)

BLEND TOGETHER:
    100ml Unsweetened Almond Milk
    23g Protien Powder (Vanilla Flavour)
    35g Fat Free Greek Yougart
    MIX IN:
    40g Rolled Oats
    -Cover & put the fridge over night-
    This morning stirred in:
    1 tsp Sweet Freedom (Dark)
    1/2 tsp cinnemon

Delish!

I love how you can make them any flavour you like, keep changing it up, adding different toppings.
    Deffinately going to experiment :heart:

:flowerforyou:
  • konalove3
    Options
    Bump
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, love my oats!
  • glickjm
    glickjm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Have heard a few people talking about "Overnight Oats". My questions are:

How do you cook them/make them?
    Are they tasty?
    What can you add to them?
    Are they low calorie?

I'm getting bored with my Weetabix in a morning but need a low calories quick breakfast to eat at my desk :-(

Thanks in advance!!

Tried those pots of oats?
    http://www.concordextra.com/product/20760/Grocery+And+Sweets/QUAKER+OATS+OAT+SO+SIMPLE+50G/?gclid=CP3P76yi67gCFaPHtAodLiIAHw

Perfect for someone at their desk with access to a kettle (and a spoon).
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    ... edited because someone already suggested pumpkin pie spice. :happy:
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of cold oats. I however put steel oats in the crock pot overnight (approx 8 hours on low) with soy milk, water, alittle bit of brown sugar, apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and its delicious.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    They taste great are super filling & amazingly eazy!!

I use a 1:1:1:1 Ratio of Rolled (uncooked) oats:frozen fruit:Yogurt:milk (the types of yogurt & milk can be adjusted for taste/nutrition)

Mix the Oats/Milk/Yogurt/Fruit in a container.

For added flavor I'll sometimes add Peanut Butter or raisins.

Put a lid on it & store it in the fridge overnight.

In the morning you can add nuts/granola for texture.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I won't rehash the basics the people above have helpfully put, but I just wanted to mention an accidental flavour I discovered that I can't get enough of.

I was going to do apple sauce and cinnamon, but I'd run out of cinnamon, so I used mixed spice (you know the kind you get in hot cross buns) and it was AMAZING. It kind of tastes like Christmas. Totally satisfying.

Also definitely use chia seeds. I've never been satisfied right up until my lunch break before. Those little things are amazing!

The US actually doesn't have "mixed spice," although I have often wonder why there are so many blends of seasonings on the market (taco, Italian, Cajun, etc.) but not a sweet one. YOU GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK.

Try pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice. Those are usually some kind of mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, and some other spices.

Different ratios, different spices in each :frown: This is more of an industry rant that we don't market such an obvious balance of "mixed spice" in the US.
  • gillporteous
    Options
    These sound amazing ..

Few recipes i have seen are:

Oats
    Greek yogurt
    Soya milk or almond milk
    Strawberries
    Banana
    Peanut butter on top

Oats
    Toffee yoghurt
    Walnuts
    Banana
    Peanut butter

You could also mix in cocoa powder to either the yoghurt or sprinkle cinnamon on the oats

:)

:)
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm using a coconut greek yogurt with vanilla almond milk, and I'll add some chocolate chips and almonds tomorrow morning...
  • Chenry121960
    Chenry121960 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats! I eat them almost every day. I like to add just a little chunky peanut butter to give it a more crunchy texture. Either that or unsweetened coconut, depending on what other flavors I'm using. Greek pineapple yogurt and coconut is awesome!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think you just soak them overnight then heat them in the morning- there will be instructions on the pack.

I like them as a heavy breakfast that will keep me fuller for longer, you can add bananas, raisins, jam, sweetener.

Obviously if you add a lot fo jam that's going to make them not as good for you so i usually go for sweetener and banana :)

I had 5.5 oz of steel cut outs with 5 oz of mixed blue/raspberries.

I haven't done oats in a while- and then I remembered why- super high calories- and I'm starving all day. They do absolutely NOTHING for me.

But-regardless- my question for you oat lovers. most calorie portions are done by dry serving- so 1/4 cup is roughly like 500 grams is roughly 5.5 oz... but the servings are dry. Anyone have any idea what 5.5 oz of them are cooked?

MFP is telling me that my 10 oz breakfast of oats and berries was 600 calories- and I'm having a hard time believing that. thoughts? I don't have it in front of me to do the math myself- and I divided it up and don't remember how many I divided it into (else I'd do it myself LOL)