No gallbladder=no salad???

Options
Ok, so I had my gallbladder taken out. The surgeon said that since the gallbladder is a crucial part of breaking down raw veggies, I needed to stay away from raw veggies and salad because I won't digest them correctly and could eventually cause a blockage from the raw veggies/salad. I have a friend who had her gallbladder out 10 years before I did who said she never heard of that and she eats salad all the time with no problem...anyone else had their gallbladder taken out and received the same advice I got?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was not given that advice when I had mine out and I haven't had any problems with it. Post-gallbladder issues seem to differ for everyone. I don't have any problems anymore unless I eat an obscene amount of fat in one meal, but I had some issues early on with higher fat meals that cleared up right away. I routinely eat a big salad or half a bag of raw baby carrots without an issue. I think the only advice I really got post-surgery was to avoid anything that gave me issues and eat whatever I wanted that didn't.
  • susanpasq
    susanpasq Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out 25 years ago - never heard this , never had any problems with fruits and vegetables. High fats can cause minor problems for me.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I had mine out almost 20 years ago, and I've never heard of this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    My OH had his gall bladder out around 5 years ago and was told to avoid high fat meals (for a while), not salads. He eats salads no problem.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Wife has had GB out for 5 years. She had to eat low fat for awhile (it seems like maybe 2 months, or 3) but there were no other restrictions after she was past recovery. She was on an "easy" diet for 2 weeks or so though. Maybe the surgeon was talking about short term recovery not long term diet.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    The gall bladder stores and transports bile from the liver to the stomach/intestines. Bile is used in the process of digesting lipids (fats). Don't know what that has to do with eating raw veggies...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I was told to keep fats lower for a while, then reintroduce them slowly. I've never heard or read anything about the gallbladder being involved in digesting veggies - it's involved in digesting fats.

I eat anywhere from 5 to 20 servings of fruit and vegetables daily, including large salads and many other raw veggies (often hundreds of grams at a time) and have never had any problem digesting them post-gallbladder-removal.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Bile is responsible for digesting fat. Some people need to limit their fatty food intake after having their gallbladder out. Some people can eat whatever they want. There is no reason to limit vegetables. I work in the ER. I have patients with gallstones pain coming in regularly.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that for gallbladder removal. I'm on low fiber/low fat because of Gastroparesis and Crohn's but it jas nothing to do with my gallbladder
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What?! Mine has been out for nearly 13 years and raw vegetables digest best for me. Spicy food is terrible for me as well as fatty food. I don't even remember getting any nutritional advice from my surgeon. He did the surgery I went for one post op where he took out the staples and never saw him again.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 22 years ago. :#
    I was given zero dietary advice, but learned quickly high fat meals caused issues. I have never problems with anything else.
  • tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep same here. I had mine out about 9 years ago. Was never told anything like that (and it doesn't appear medically sound since bile is used to digest fats) and I routinely eat fresh veg and salads with no probs. If I eat too much cheese or other high fat foods I feel nauseous. But that's it. Livestrong says "ensuring that you consume at least four servings of fruits and vegetables and four servings of breads and cereals daily is recommended by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, especially after surgery. Another benefit of including foods that are high in fiber is that it can improve the movement of food through your digestive system and help to reduce bloating." Which is fairly much what all sites say on the topic.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Really?? Well that's a new one on me, I had my gallbladder out almost 30 years ago and while I struggle with high fat foods (and meat makes my ibs flare), as a vegetarian I'd be in trouble if I couldn't eat lots of veggies.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your doctor has a license? In medicine? The gall bladder has very little to do with digesting vegetables. Your gall bladder stores the bile our bodies use to digest fats. When it's removed, the bile just goes directly from your liver to your intestines (I forget which set). Last I checked, the kinds of vegetables we normally put in salads (lettuces, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, cucumbers, onions, etc., are very low in fat.
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Same as every other post, mine was out in January 2010 and never heard of that. I eat tons of raw veggies. Eat away!!
  • LisaMelton1
    LisaMelton1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be had mine out for about 10 years and no problems with raw veg. Now I did try a keto diet and had to quit because can’t digest all that fat. I eat salads nearly every day no issues.
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 5 years ago I've never heard of this! Like the other said, the bile normally stored in it is used to digest fats - I wouldn't describe veg as fatty by any means. I got no dietary info at all after my surgery.
    I'm not 100% sure I've fully worked out my diet yet as I do frequently end up with "the runs". I suspect that's partially down to my eating schedule though and then suddenly eating a large meal instead of smaller ones through the day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I still think the surgeon didn't mean it past a brief recovery period which is similar to what my wife was told. She ate a lot of soup and other easy foods for 2 weeks post-op. It might have been overly cautious but there was no harm in it.
  • mortikarobinette
    mortikarobinette Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out and the only thing I have a problem with is fatty foods and grease.