Gym Routine with an enthesopathy of the hip

Options
Icy_Fox
Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
Hey guys, since I have lost a ton of weight in the last year and a half and I feel like I am at a stable position in terms of weight at the moment, I´d like to hit the gym to gain a bit of muscle mass (or at least definition). The problem is, I have recently been diagnosed with an enthesopathy of the left hip, which for those of you who don´t know, causes sharp pain when doing exercises that put pressure on the hip. That means I would probably need to avoid any exercises involving leg muscles, any squats, jumps etc. It will also be hard to do cardio for warm up since most cardio exercises put pressure on the hip (running, jumping, partly even cycling), so I am not sure what to do on this part. Any tips, suggestions or shared experiences will be appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to swim?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a hand cycle/arm bike/arm cycle (I'm not sure what the actual name of these things are called). If so that would be one source of cardio. It also looks like you can use the SkiErg in a seated position. Though again, that assumes you have access to one. Rope machines would be another option.

Swimming would work if you don't kick. While swimming is non-weight bearing that doesn't mean that there aren't forces at work. Flutter kick and the breast stroke kick make quite a lot of use of the hip joint. Whether or not those will aggravate your enthesopathy isn't something that I have any real idea of but I would be far from shocked if it did. That said, I have an acquaintance who swims a mile three times a week and doesn't kick at all. In his case it's an issue of coordination as opposed to injury.