Taking a break?

Options
I've read conflicting research. What do y'all think? Is it good to take a week off of working out every so often?

Replies

• GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you do for workouts. It is good to take some time off from lifting, especially if you lift heavy, because it gives your nervous system a break. If you are lifting light weights with little effort...no need to take a break. As for cardio, it depends on intensity level as well. If you are doing a 30 minute jaunt on the eliptical daily, there isn't a need to take a break because it isn't straining on your body. It is more of a calorie burning session.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    Muscle recovery is important. I agree with the above poster as well. Some people look towards yoga and pilates when they are taking a break or just walk for that week.

On vacation for a few days I may just walk and focus on yoga before I get jittery so to speak and need to go for a run. I have found my runs are better then....fresh legs...blood flow....etc.

Same with weights....a few days off then I can lift a few more pounds or do more pushups. : ) Do what works and feels right for you. Listen to your body.