Can yoga help with pain relief?

Options
Icy_Fox
Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
I have been having constant hip & lower abdomen pain and the doctors can´t seem to figure out what is wrong. I was looking into alternative options and read somewhere yoga can help with pain relief. Is it true and if it is, how should I start? Any tips are appreciated

Cheers!

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Might be worth it to get checked out by a physical therapist first.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I know you've seen doctors, but for abdominal pain, I'd be continuing to pursue medical solutions.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    can it? yes but it depends on the why
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You will find a lot of very passionate opinions on MFP, in different directions. Clinically, Providers vary on the subject, even in my own clinical setting. Some believe that chronic pain has roots in past pain and prior trauma/injury making you more sensitive through life. Regardless of your personal theory of pain, why and how, yoga is certainly healthier than some other treatment methods. Personally, I wont even take non addictive drugs like Lyrica for a Dx of Fibromyalgia. I am not even sure I believe Fibromyalgia is a real thing, but it is clinically recognized. I do believe that exercise and nutrition play a role in symptoms and I choose to manage my problem, in that way. I am older, though always active, not the gym worrier type. Yoga helps keep my body limber, stretched and improved my muscle tone, which helped with the pain. The less I move, the stiffer I feel and the more pain I feel. It took a year of so of experiments, nutritionally, but I found some foods, for me, seemed to leave my body feeling more crappy. Now I avoid them. It took hyper vigilance tracking my diet to discover the magic formula for my diet but the yoga gave me body results within a month...and incentive to keep going. In the process, I have lost several pounds and it all started with pain management. Others will have different experiences, some may feel it never helped them at all, but for me, it was a success. You can start with a home DVD, little financial invested, see if you like it. Most give instructions for proper form. Some are even geared toward pain management. Don't expect results in a week. Give it a true investment. At least 5 days week x 4-6 weeks.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If the pain is a problem with muscles, tendons, or joints, yoga might be able to help. If it's due to something else, like a growth or disease, probably not.
    If you want to give it a try, check Yelp for ratings on local yoga studios and look for a beginner class.
    Yoga is great, you should try it anyway. Good luck with your pain relief!