Explaining my diet to friends

Options
I know they mean well but when I'm out somewhere I'm getting tired of hearing can you eat this? Can you eat that? I recently had pancreatitis and I want to change my eating habits for good because I have to and it's just too hard to explain the whole thing to people. Why can't they let me just eat what I want to eat without all the questions? I'd love to know what to say to them in a respectful way so they would stop. I'm finding that people just want to shove food down your throat because they want to eat it.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    You don't need to explain anything to anyone. That's why I don't ever discuss my dietary choices with anyone. Since you've already shared this with your friends, when they bring it up, just shrug and say, "it's really a boring subject". Then change the subject and ask something about them instead. People would rather talk about themselves anyway.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    “Yes, I can, but I don’t want to.”

I don’t know about you, but my diet isn’t about what I “can” and “can’t” eat, but rather what I feel is worth trying to fit in and what isn’t. If it satisfies me and keeps me under my TDEE then it’s worth it.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Story of my life. My job requires me to constantly be lean. Yet they shut up when summer comes around and we go to the beach or poolside lol. Just let them talk, no need to explain. It's your body and your life
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you have it under control
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. I collected hostile stares at Christmas as I would refuse to try a treat and then bewilderment when I’d come by one hour later and take one.

How could I explain in a single sentence my diabetic training and food timing?

Another time a well meaning angel got me a huge bag of “sugar free” candies to enjoy in our ladies dorm at a women’s retreat. I checked the label, second ingredient sugar.

How could I explain that after decades without I didn’t need or crave sweets? Give me a bag of mixed nuts on the other hand....
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    'Thank you, I can make my own choices' is always good when eating out with friends.

If it is going over to someone's house,and they are hosting dinner, it is polite for them to check on food preferences and tolerances. Saves them making food that will go to waste.
    In those circumstances ask what is being planned and say what is edible for you within that scope.

I have a very multicultural group of friends and in the beginning I always had to check who eats what. (I have cheat sheets now)

In this day and age it is unusual to find a group of people that all eat the same food, saying something isn't to your taste is perfectly acceptable and needs no further explanation.

You may just be getting a little 'over caring' from friends because you are re designing your diet to suit your new neeeds and they too are trying to adjust.

Cheers, h.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I collected hostile stares at Christmas as I would refuse to try a treat and then bewilderment when I’d come by one hour later and take one.

How could I explain in a single sentence my diabetic training and food timing?

Another time a well meaning angel got me a huge bag of “sugar free” candies to enjoy in our ladies dorm at a women’s retreat. I checked the label, second ingredient sugar.

How could I explain that after decades without I didn’t need or crave sweets? Give me a bag of mixed nuts on the other hand....

Wait....you mean to tell me calories count on Christmas!?!? Dang it!!!