15lbs in and holding my breath...

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've been here before. I've been here before about three times actually. My first use of MFP was in 2016. I think I lost about 15-20lbs. I gained that back. I also lost around 15lbs in grade 11 when I had gym class every day. In 2017 I tried 5:2 IF and lost about 10-15lbs.

Every time I've lost this amount, it goes back up and I've gained more weight. I've never a) kept it off, or b) lost any more.

So it's a bit nerve wracking. I don't want this to be a repeat of those times. But I can see my calories starting to creep up and even out. I've had 3 days recently over my goal, whereas earlier I had them less frequently. And I no longer see lower gaps where my overages could be cut up and tucked into those spaces. There are simply some over days and no compensation.

I'm getting into a bit of a routine with exercise each week. I can feel that I'm getting a little stronger and I'm slightly less sore.

I don't want to lose my progress. But I'm so worried. I haven't ever passed this threshold. I really want to. I want these habits to stick. They aren't fully formed yet. I'm still fumbling, trying to get things right. I want to get there.

If anyone's had similar experiences with a certain amount they need/needed to pass, feel free to share! Idk if this is the right spot for this, but even though I've been back a month or so, I feel like this is the real "start" - starting past the beginner hill, so to speak.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a great first step that you know that the reason that you stop losing and then regain is because of your calorie intake increase. You know that you have control and that you can control. The part where you struggle is to control over the long haul.

I don't set my goals based upon what the scale says (which I can't control except in a general way over time) but upon my compliance with my plan.

Do you have a large deficit? If so, you may want to back that down a bit. Losing weight slowly, and keeping it off, by sticking with a comfortable eating and exercise plan may be the way to go. Try to craft a plan that's workable for the rest of your life.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Well, it's a great first step that you know that the reason that you stop losing and then regain is because of your calorie intake increase. You know that you have control and that you can control. The part where you struggle is to control over the long haul.

I don't set my goals based upon what the scale says (which I can't control except in a general way over time) but upon my compliance with my plan.

Do you have a large deficit? If so, you may want to back that down a bit. Losing weight slowly, and keeping it off, by sticking with a comfortable eating and exercise plan may be the way to go. Try to craft a plan that's workable for the rest of your life.

Yes, I know it’s something I can control. But maintaining that control slips.

No my goals are set to 1lb/week, which for me now is 1480cal/day net. I think that’s considered not very large of a deficit. Sorta medium. I’m really really hoping to create that slow, comfortable habit formation. But I know I’m not there yet and I’m getting worried about how I’ll do that.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    2016 I went from 15stone to 11 stone 4 between July 2016 and December 2017 I went back up to 13 stone 6 I'm now back down to 11 stone 11 and I'm starting to struggle I would love to be 10 stone but honestly can see it if im struggling already never been under 11:4 so that's my 2nd goal (first was getting under 12)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

Yes, I know it’s something I can control. But maintaining that control slips.

No my goals are set to 1lb/week, which for me now is 1480cal/day net. I think that’s considered not very large of a deficit. Sorta medium. I’m really really hoping to create that slow, comfortable habit formation. But I know I’m not there yet and I’m getting worried about how I’ll do that.
    You just have to chug along, one foot in front of the other, one day at a time. You know that stopping won't get you where you want to be so you keep going even though it's not really what you want to do.

Personally, I can't see that I'll ever end up with a comfortable habit. I track every day and I'm going to need to keep tracking every day if I want to avoid regain. I'll slide right back into my favorite way of eating (which is a surplus) if I don't maintain constant vigilance. I've crafted an eating/exercise plan that's as low-effort as possible but it will still require attention.