Fat percentage increasing, muscle mass decreasing and weight loss.

Options
How accurate is a smart scale? I am losing weight, Strenght training 3 times a week and cardio 2 times a week. Following a 1200 calories diet.
But I noticed In my last weigh in my muscle mass has decreased and my fat has increased?
Frustrated.
Are smart scales accurate? How accurate is this?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,914 Member
    Options
    Not very accurate. And they're not estimating muscle mass, it's lean mass, which includes things that you need less of as you get smaller (blood volume, for example). Think about the percentages in terms of weight, too. This isn't strictly likely/possible, but just as an example, imagine that I went from 25% body fat at 150 pounds to 25% body fat at 120 pounds. Same body fat? No, less, because 0.25 x 150 = 37.5 pounds of fat, but 0.25 x 120 = 30 pounds.

Three things help you maintain as much existing muscle as possible while losing weight:

1. Avoid losing weight too fast. (Useful rule of thumb: Maximum 1% of body weight per week, less than that when within 50 pounds of goal.)
    2. Eat enough protein. (I'd vote for 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight.)
    3. Exercise, especially strength exercise. (Sounds like you've got this one covered! :) ).

After you've controlled all the factors you can, there's no real point in worrying too much about it. You're gonna be fine. ;)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Cast78 wrote: »
    @mph323 Although that is true...doesn’t always work that way. Some bodies will hang on to what little calories have been given as if in starvation mode. Wreck the metabolism during this too. So, yes, I gained weight with too low of calories.

Just a suggestion for other ways to lose the weight without wrecking the metabolism.

Wait - you're saying that its true you can't gain weight in a deficit except you can gain weight in a deficit? How does that work exactly? You maintain at 2000 calories, eat 1200 calories and gain weight? Did you think this through?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Wow, so you all know my story and my body better than myself then.

It’s math. Unless you have a medical condition you were not tracking as closely as you thought because what you’re saying is impossible for a healthy adult. Don’t take it personally. It’s not an attack and lots of people struggle to figure out logging accuracy
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,950 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    There is a difference between weight and fat.

I am coming in at the tail end of a conversation but are we talking starvation or famine induced edema?

Other than that you take in less energy than you spend... you lose energy reserves.

Oh, and BMI scales are useless pieces of **baby feline**
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Oh, and BMI scales are useless pieces of **baby feline**

YAS!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

No. We understand the laws of energy balance, which apply to everybody regardless of whether you (the general 'you') believe them or not.

You (the general 'you') cannot gain weight (fat) while in a caloric deficit. There can be fluctuations from water retention, hormonal issues, etc., but you cannot gain actual weight while consuming less calories than you expend. It is a physical impossibility.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Are smart scales accurate? How accurate is this?

And back to the OP.....

BIA scales vary enormously from pretty accurate if used in a regimented and consistent way and would probably be commercial grade and have four point sensors.
    Some can provide a reasonable trend over time and multiple readings but with odd spikes mostly caused by variations in hydration levels.
    Some are completely and utterly useless.

Summary - not accurate enough to make you believe a single data point is a reflection of your progress, or lack of progress.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options

It's physics 101.

You probably don't know your body as well as you think. For starters, you probably weren't logging consistently and meticulously at a deficit for at least 6 months. Second, because of the first, you probably overlooked "minor cheats" or slipups.