Walking sneaker recommendations

Options
Quick! I need some help. I am retiring my Saucony Omni15 that I love. So much so that I tried to keep them longer by adding Dr Scholl inserts. I just came in from their final walk. So much pain in my knees which radiated up my legs. So, what sneakers would you recommend? I walk between 10-15 thousand steps a day at about 3 mph for about 45 minutes to a hour. Mostly outside and treadmill during crap weather. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do you know what’s causing the pain? Have you had that checked out?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    1. Try on EVERY pair in the store, you'll find the ones that fit your feet best
    2. If pain persists, go see a doctor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Altras, if they're comfortable. Or skateboard shoes, which is what i walk in. Almost all other shoes have a raised heel, which is fine for running, but it creates a clunky walking gait, which adds stress to the joints.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I like walking in Merrill trail shoes or mid-rise boots. In general, I think the trail shoes are worth trying.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I like sketchers for walking
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    People have different shaped feet. I get a better fit from Nike or ASICS and have skinny heels. My mom needs a different fit and has had good luck with New Balance. If you have a running store near you it is worth checking out. They will help you fit the right shoe to your foot and can watch how you walk to make sure your walk is not impeded by the fit. Even if you don’t buy the shoes there it’s a great way to find tune and learn how different brands and styles affect your gait.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’m a Brooks fan. On my second pair of Revel after various incarnations of the Ghost model. But, yeah, you should have your leg pain checked.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I like the rocker bottom shoes. Like the Shape-Ups that where originally made for excerising legs, but are much more stable now to prevent the injuries from being off balance. Apparently people with foot problems discovered they were *kitten* for the advertised fitness and weight loss benefits, but they really feel good for plantar fascitis and various other foot issues. So they redesigned a bit to keep the rocker but get rid of the side wobble that was causing most of the problems.
    My last pair were seriously the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, especially for long standing days, and finally just died after a couple years of use.
  • marjoyrin123
    marjoyrin123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    new balance seems to be a sneaker that many orthopedist recommend
    I wear and they are great
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    New Balance.

You can get their shoes in different widths.

And some models are deeper than others.

I tried on their 880v8 neutral running shoe the other day, and it was super comfortable, but it wasn't deep enough for my orthotics, so I ended up buying another one of their shoes.