Finding my “tribe”

Options
I’m at this crossroads in my life I feel. Most of my friends do not like to do active things and aren’t interested in eating healthy. This has been a huge road block for me. I am managing to get the eating down but the exercising thing has been tough for me. I’m a social person so I always prefer to do things with other people. It’s also motivating to know someone is counting on you to show up. I am also still pretty insecure about myself so going to workout classes is a terrifying thought. I really want to go to them but I can’t seem to get out of my own head. I worry the people there will look at me and go “what is that fatty doing here”.
Anyone ever been in this situation and found a solution to overcome the fear of going to the gym/ classes?

Replies

• jolley07
    jolley07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could try working out at home to get your confidence up. Things like p90x and/or insanity are older now, you could pick out something like that on the cheap and dont require a lot of equipment.
  • jessylayton98
    jessylayton98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to my first gym class just over a month ago and was really nervous! I was worried everyone there would be really fit and I wouldn't be able to keep up/would look silly. I forced myself to go and now I go to at least two a week and I love it! Everyone was doing their own thing and I found that I could usually keep up and it didn't matter anyway if I couldn't. I would definitely recommend going - maybe try a few different ones and find your favourite. Good luck!
  • jonagolddreams
    jonagolddreams Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home because it fits better in my lifestyle, but am also an introvert so I understand your apprehension. In the past I've had to push through my discomfort the first few times, but usually find whatever it is isn't as scary as I thought it would be. You can do it! The bonus is that usually there are plenty of extroverts around that don't mind taking the first step in social situations like a class setting.
  • BWiley98
    BWiley98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im a social worker and mom if 2 from MO....we can do this!!!! \m/
  • IDareYouToMove
    IDareYouToMove Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! None of my friends are interested in eating healthy / being active, and without that support, I get too freaked out to do a lot of things that I think would benefit my health. I would like to go the gym and workout classes, or go on a hike, but I feel really weird about going myself and being the awkward one out.

If it helps, maybe we can hold each other accountable by motivating each other to step out of our comfort zones and doing these things. :)
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can find fitness classes a bit daunting, I don't like going on my own at first either. Why don't you see if you can convince a friend to go with you just to the first class so you can get a feel for it? Once you know what to expect from the class, it's a little less daunting. Don't worry about going alone though, no one will judge you because most people are too interested in what they're doing and not making a prat of themselves!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it is totally normal to feel anxious.
    most people are encouraging at gym classes. they might be your tribe.
    i was super anxious when i went to my first aerial class. now i teach. the other teachers are my tribe. but i had to take the first step