Body weight squats

Options
Seffell
Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
I had two lower back injuries for the past 6 months and also have disc protrusions and have been taking meds for sciatica for the past 3 or so years. So I'm not allowed to lift.

Can I accomplish anything with bw squats? I'm pear shaped and most of my fat is concentraded in my lower body. Despite being at the lower half of healthy BMI my bum is big (not in a nice way) and saggy. Very unnatractive. I'm continuing to lose very slowly (about 1lbs per month, I don't want to eat less as I'm very inactive) with the hope that the fat there will eventually disappear. So is there any benefit of not progressive lifting squats? I'm desparate to shape my butt and thighs but always in pain and have been for a very long time. Any advice as to how to make it look better?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    You can still get benefits and make your body stronger with body weight squats and lunges. Instead of progressing with more weight progress by adding more reps instead
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    If you're pear-shaped, best way to fix that is to do full-body workouts. Eat at maintenance to recomp (lose fat, gain muscle). If you can increase upper body size, you'll look more proportionate. That's what I did. And I agree with the above about bw lifting.
  • Seffell
    Options
    If you're pear-shaped, best way to fix that is to do full-body workouts. Eat at maintenance to recomp (lose fat, gain muscle). If you can increase upper body size, you'll look more proportionate. That's what I did. And I agree with the above about bw lifting.

That's my plan too. Hopefully I will achieve it!

Thanks.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Body weight squats are a great exercise to do. Try throwing in a some Sally Squats (Moby - Sally Up). You will feel the burn doing those.

Just keep moving :smile:
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You can also try resistance bands. You can do a lot to shape your booty with resistance bands. And doesn't Bret Contreras have a bodyweight version of strong curves?
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Squats are great with just body weight. I've been working on a 100 squat program and so far at 68 in a row. I feel like I could do the 100 now but taking it slow and gradually increasing the reps. I feel a burn.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    There are also lots of different types of squats and lunges, mix it up! They can be a great workout. No, you probably won't bulk like a lifter might, but you can certainly shape your body using body weight and lift the sag.

ETA: you may find more activity and strength can help with your issues. I have DDD and have herniated disks in the past, including ending up with a bad base-posterior slippage. Chiropractic helped, but when I finally started getting fit again, my body started doing a lot more "self correcting" and my chiro visits dramatically decreased over about a 6 month time period.

Now, when I stretch, I will often get my own cracks and "resets" as things get back to where they belong. I still need occasional adjustments, but most of the time those are precipitated by something like crashing my race bike.
  • Seffell
    Options
    It is great to hear that all is not lost and that I can use bw exercise to get some shape! I'll be starting next week then.

Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats are a great exercise to do. Try throwing in a some Sally Squats (Moby - Sally Up). You will feel the burn doing those.

We have been ending boxing class with Sally wall sits - holy heck it burns! Lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have back problems too. When weight/tension is under the waist it doesn't hurt as much. What I do is wear a wide belt (I have a sturdy military belt) and loop resistance bands through it then step through and on the other end of the loop. Since you're a pear, not much chance of the belt slipping down. It feels a bit unusual at first because the resistance is not the same all throughout the "lift".

Or you could just do split squats and lunges instead until your back recovers. I have to get creative because my issue is chronic.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

We have been ending boxing class with Sally wall sits - holy heck it burns! Lol

Sally wall sits - damn that is hardcore
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Run a full body/body weight program. You might be fine adding progressive overload with bands in addition to sets, reps, etc.

@sardelsa Is there a Strong Curves body weight program?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    Yeah. Run a full body/body weight program. You might be fine adding progressive overload with bands in addition to sets, reps, etc.

@sardelsa Is there a Strong Curves body weight program?

Yea there is an at home/bodyweight one, see templates below (third one):

https://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf
  • jshaw2025
    jshaw2025 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Go see a physical (physio) therapist. What you described sounds like no reason you shouldn't be able to.get back to lifting.
  • Seffell
    Options
    jshaw2025 wrote: »
    Go see a physical (physio) therapist. What you described sounds like no reason you shouldn't be able to.get back to lifting.

I had a course of physio at the local hospital. The therapist said I shouldn't set foot in a gym. I crack my back very easily and then spend a couple of weeks on bedrest unable to move. Last time it happened this spring I was squating holding a 4kg dumbell in my hands. So this is the sort of "lifting" I'm talking about. Not barbells.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Have you tried things like quadruped hip extensions and glute floor glute bridges? These will work your glutes and hamstrings if you don't have the core stability for a proper squat. I herniated my disc once because I got up funny from a squat.
  • Seffell
    Options
    Have you tried things like quadruped hip extensions and glute floor glute bridges? These will work your glutes and hamstrings if you don't have the core stability for a proper squat. I herniated my disc once because I got up funny from a squat.

Yes, I'm doing the bw bridges.
    The reason I started this post is that from what I've read in this forum I've got the impression that if it isn't progressive lifting one shouldn't bother at all.

I find your suggestion for the belt and resistance bends very crafty. I'll try it.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2018
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Yes, I'm doing the bw bridges.
    The reason I started this post is that from what I've read in this forum I've got the impression that if it isn't progressive lifting one shouldn't bother at all.

I find your suggestion for the belt and resistance bends very crafty. I'll try it.

Resistance bands are great for those of us with back problems. You get to make almost anything "progressive" if you use them. BW bridges can be made harder (which is considered progressive) by starting with your feet elevated on a small stepping stool and your back on the floor, or by doing them single legged. A more advanced version which I don't recommend you try without building up to it would be doing it with your feet on an exercise ball - it introduces high elevation, keeps the tension always on, and involves lots of stabilizer muscles. An ultimately more challenging variation would be single legged on an exercise ball. Progressive doesn't necessarily mean weighted, it only means more challenging for the muscle.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider some exercises with the stability ball to support your back. But I would definitely talk to a physical therapist to find a good set of exercises in light of your specific injuries.