Starting out fitness again

Options
I'm currently at 349.9lbs and 5'11. Ive done these kind of programs before and been very successful (I lost 100lbs a few years ago and gained it all back) so I guess I have some kind of base level.
I've started working out again and I'm currently doing Insanity Max 30, well using those workouts my calendar is nowhere near five days a week.
Anyone who started at the same level of fitness as me how many days a week should I be aiming for? Should I just go all out and do 5/6 days and push myself or focus on consistently working out maybe 2/3 days weekly.
I don't know what'll be best in the long run.

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I started out just as heavy at 5'7". I burnt myself out going too hard too fast, including pulled muscles and painful joints. When I started again, I was a lot smarter about setting more reasonable expectations for my body...Igot down to 175 and stayed there for a year... I am at 180 now, and back at it. Basically, insurance is covering my belly flap removal (tummy tuck) because it is prone to infection: reason I stopped losing weight as it was just getting worse and worse. Now I'm trying to lose at least 10lbs before my surgery. Yes, excess skin happens even with slow weight loss.

My advise: start slow in workouts while changing eating habits. After two week either make a change in eating habits again OR workout intensity. Two more weeks, change whichever one you didn't after the first two weeks. Personally I found it harder to change my eating habits so that is what I focused on first, then slowly increasing my workouts. Do whichever works for you.

If you feel yourself getting burnt out or frustrated, slow down. Remember, slowing down isn't stopping, so don't worry about it, it's just a revamp. Also, if you are getting frustrated with your workout routine, change it. I now rotate my cardio from my treadmill, to Zumba classes, to swimming, that was I don't get bored with anything.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    ^^Listen to @AnnPT77
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you can take. I would, if I were starting over, do a push pull routine.

That means, for every push, one pull. Example, Bench Press/Rowing.

For legs, start with leg press, squats, Roman table (Laying down leg curls) and calfs on the leg press.

Mon, Thu - Upper Body (3 Push exercises, 3 pull exercises)
    Tue, Fri - Lower Body

Wed, Sat - A quick HIIT - 10 mins on bike - 30 secs explosion, 30 secs resting pace.

Gets the DOMS out of the way, make sure your body can take some weight and in 2 to 3 weeks, you should be able to start insanity to your workout without it being risky or painful.