"You look too skinny"

Options
2»

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of "friends" when I lost my initial weight. It happens. When you're no longer the "fat" friend, jealousy happens. You also find out who your true friends really are.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when I weighed around 160, a nutritionist colleague of mine told me very sincerely that she didn’t think anything less than 135 would “look right” on my frame.

I weigh 129 now, with plenty of muscle mass on me, and I could still lose about 10-15 more and be fine. People get used to the way you are, and especially when they like you, they associate the way you are with what they like about you. When your appearance starts to change, they need some extra time to catch up.

Or maybe they’re just jerks. ;)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    smh_cliff wrote: »
    ... or perhaps you just dont like having me as the fat friend that made you look good!

I have had a couple of people tell me I should stop now but I am still 10lb away from a healthy BMI - I know that isn't everything but I am DEFINITELY not thin! It bothered me that they couldn't be supportive. Is this a common thing as people are so used to seeing me bigger, or are my friends just dicks?

Have you changed your clothing to fit your reduced size?

I got told I'm too skinny at the end of my cut. I was still close to 200# and about 13% - 15% body fat. It bothered me, of course... but I realized that in clothes I *did* look kinda scrawny because I never do bother to buy clothes that fit me at this weight because I bulk up waaaaay past it. My clothes fit me at my heaviest and make me look like I'm wearing someone elses too big hand-me-downs. Now, for some reason I have several workout shirts in various sizes that fit me like a glove and I'll wear them to the gym, but I never considered doing that for my regular outfits.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It’s easy to see things in a negative light, your friends could just care about you and not want to see you end up being “too skinny” or want to help you to accept what you have rather than keep on wanting to change? I don’t know your friends but would like to think they have your best interests at heart x
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Jealous! That's what a doctor told me when I said some friends were telling me I was too thin. Unfortunately, having a gaunt face often happens when women lose weight. Was it Madonna that said you have to choose between your a** and your face? It's true when you get to be of a certain age. BTW, I no longer have this problem!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If they didn't tell you that you were too fat beforehand, they have no right to comment now.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have had a handful of family and friends say this and I have noticed two things in common

1. They are all genuinely concerned. Their heart is in the right place.
    2. They are all obese themselves so are probably trying to justify their own weight/health and have lost perspective of what healthy even looks like, especially when in a society where being overweight is the norm.