Dieting with Food Allergies Galore

Options
Hey all!

I’m trying again for the umpteenth time with a new issue. I’ve lost about 21 pounds so far while trying to navigate all the food allergies I discovered back in March and some related vitamin deficiencies. I had been breaking out in hives and swelling like crazy since October and finally found out that I am allergic to wheat, corn, peanuts, chocolate, broccoli and all kinds of other foods I loved. Any of you out there eating gluten and/or corn free? I’d love to have some friends in my corner for support and recipe ideas!

Even if you’re not riddled with food allergies, feel free to add me! Haha I’d love having some active members as friends to get and give motivation. :)

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy free: even most breads because they end up with the casien protiens. It's not easy, but doable. Remember is CICO, not necessarily how healthy food is, to lose weight. I tend to avoid adding people as there are a lot of judgemental people on here that have criticized my eating habits.. .yes I eat junk food, not "bad" vs "good" food, but downright junk food (Doritos, cookies, candy) I still stay under my calories and eat healthy a lot of the time, so I lose weight, but I get a lot of negativity.
    Just eat under your CICO, avoid foods you cannot have, and you'll lose weight.
  • haphazard_heather
    haphazard_heather Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand that! After I found out what was allergic to my food diary was crazy-looking for a few weeks. I keep my diary private for that reason. I have good days and bad days. I’m eating a lot more healthy foods now that I’ve had some time to figure out what I can eat without pain and hives. :) Thanks!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I lost "friends" when I started losing a lot of weight and they weren't, while posting "Cheetos" for lunch. We all have good days and bad days. Some people are just hyper judgemental I guess.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of food allergies and sensitivities too. My best advice is to write up a list of foods that you *can* eat, try one or two new recipes each week, and build a list of them that you love and can base your typical meal plan on.

If you’re googling recipes, add “AIP” to the end, and you’ll get results for the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol, an elimination diet that excludes wheat, corn (all grains), nuts, legumes, dairy, eggs, nightshades, soy, chocolate, coffee, and probably a couple things I’m forgetting. Not saying you have to do the AIP elimination and re-intro process, but the recipes may be a good starting place for you. You can always adjust them— for instance, if you can eat eggs, you can just use a regular egg instead of the gelatin egg replacement the recipe would call for.

Phoenix Helix is my favorite blog for recipes, she does a weekly “roundup” and has a huge database of AIP recipes.