How to make a REALLY high calorie shake without all the sugar.

mekikya
mekikya Posts: 19 Member
So recently, I have been using Scandishakes twice a day. However, I looked at the label and HOLY CRAP the first ingredient is sugar, follow by two kinds of fats, follow by two more types of sugar. I don't want diabetes! I want to make a shake "mix" of fats and proteins that I could throw into some milk in the morning for breakfast and a after dinner boost of calories. I need to gain about 30 lbs which is hard due to health issues. (as a side note, my nutritionist is worthless at the moment because standard practice is load up on carbs and sugars to gain weight at any cost, no thanks)

I know finding an exact match of calories may be difficult. I have been able to find a dry whole milk, and dry sunflower oil powder. I have looked up coconut oil powder (which is on the list on ingredients) but everything suggests MGT oil powder, not sure if there is much of a difference since most MGT oil is derived from coconut oil. But I also worry that people say too much MGT oil can hurt your stomach. What other kinds of powders could I use to mimic Scandishake without all that SUGAR! Also, I need to avoid soy! I would prefer some find of fat or protein that would be easy to mix in with milk or cream but without tons of additives or artificial crap but with LOTS of calories. Any help or suggestions would be great, brand names etc. Thanks!

Edit: Unfortunately, I'm not otherwise healthy so extra sugar everyday could easily cause me to have diabetes since my pancreas is basically atrophied. I do have some sugar in things things but adding over 80gs of sugar everyday is not healthy. My doctor wants me to gain weight regardless of the possibility of diabetes. I disagree obviously taking insulin for the rest of my life is not appealing.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    First some sugar in moderation, especially if you are trying to gain is fine. Most gainers will have sugar as a main ingredient, but I do understand not wanting a shake to be mostly sugar, so if you want a good mix of macros, your best bet is to make the shake yourself.

I use whey protein (unflavoured or vanilla or whatever you prefer, I have used Optimum Nutrition and it mixes well), plus full fat yogurt, nut butters (peanut or almond, etc), you can also add bananas or other fruit (if you don't want any sugar you can omit them I suppose), for extra calories you can add full fat milk or whipping cream, oils, even oats, hemp hearts, flax if you want (some of those can make it gritty so just be mindful of that). I can usually get it up around 1000+ calories depending on how large and much you add.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    It doesn't look like scandishake is designed for anything other than weight gain (ie: it doesn't look like there's a set of vitamins you have to provide as well), so maybe a protein shake with peanut butter as a flavoring would get you something roughly similar. I'm not sure if the macro ratio is important to your use of it, though.

That said, I don't think that sugar is anything to be afraid of for otherwise healthy individuals.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    heavy cream in/on all the things
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    heavy cream in/on all the things

Yup. I drink heavy cream straight from the carton LOL
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Go heavy on the fats and protein. If you don't want to use fruit, get a flavored protein powder to help with the taste.

1 cup whole milk
    1 cup of yogurt
    1 scoop of protein powder
    1 whole avocado
    2 tbsp peanut butter
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Sugar doesn’t give you diabetes. It will give you fast energy (too fast for diabetics). Adding fiber will slow down the absorption.

That being said, fats have twice the calories per gram that sugar does. The cream sounds pretty good. Cream also has lots is A and D vitamins, which are helped by the fats for absorption.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Avocados
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Peanut Butter is my go to for my high calorie protein smoothie. I make a chocolate, peanut butter, banana smoothie and extra peanut butter helps to give me a lot more calories.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    mekikya wrote: »
    So recently, I have been using Scandishakes twice a day. However, I looked at the label and HOLY CRAP the first ingredient is sugar, follow by two kinds of fats, follow by two more types of sugar. I don't want diabetes! I want to make a shake "mix" of fats and proteins that I could throw into some milk in the morning for breakfast and a after dinner boost of calories. I need to gain about 30 lbs which is hard due to health issues. (as a side note, my nutritionist is worthless at the moment because standard practice is load up on carbs and sugars to gain weight at any cost, no thanks)

I know finding an exact match of calories may be difficult. I have been able to find a dry whole milk, and dry sunflower oil powder. I have looked up coconut oil powder (which is on the list on ingredients) but everything suggests MGT oil powder, not sure if there is much of a difference since most MGT oil is derived from coconut oil. But I also worry that people say too much MGT oil can hurt your stomach. What other kinds of powders could I use to mimic Scandishake without all that SUGAR! Also, I need to avoid soy! I would prefer some find of fat or protein that would be easy to mix in with milk or cream but without tons of additives or artificial crap but with LOTS of calories. Any help or suggestions would be great, brand names etc. Thanks!

Edit: Unfortunately, I'm not otherwise healthy so extra sugar everyday could easily cause me to have diabetes since my pancreas is basically atrophied. I do have some sugar in things things but adding over 80gs of sugar everyday is not healthy. My doctor wants me to gain weight regardless of the possibility of diabetes. I disagree obviously taking insulin for the rest of my life is not appealing.

Use either Heavy Cream, Peanut butter possibly, or Flax seed oil, which I really like.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Milkshake