Today sucks

So we've (me and my boyfriend) been doing P90x and dieting for like a month now and I measured myself today, gained 2 inches on waist and gained an inch on thigh and lost nothing on arms. Gained 1 lb. Boyfriend lost 10 damn pounds. Today has been awful already without adding that on. I just feel like crying.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I'm sorry you're not getting the results you want :disappointed:
    Are you logging your food? Are you eating the right amount of calories?
    A great workout can help, but your Calories In is usually what makes or breaks your weight loss.
    And never compare your progress to a man's - they have different normal weight fluctuations and don't have to deal with a monthly cycle!
  • Elfinnyx
    Elfinnyx Posts: 55 Member
    That is so disappointing for you.
    As Kimny said, it's worth checking your diet, it's so easy for extra calories to add up if you don't log accurately.
    There are a few other things to consider though, one is time of the month, I can go up by 2-4lbs around then, which disappear the week afterwards. If you're measuring around your time of the month, you might have that and possibly bloating as well.
    Another thing to consider weight wise is that if you're not eating a calorie deficit and upping your exercise, it is possible to gain weight in muscle mass.
    Are you weighing/measuring after a heavy workout? If so water weight and some muscle swelling might be factors.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Weight loss is not linear, nor the same for everybody. Just don't give up. I've lost nearly 200lbs, I've had so many setbacks I refuse to count them. Just keep eating at a caloric deficit and exercising, you will get there. It takes time, but it is well worth it.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    I gained weight when I started working out because I was inadvertently eating more. :)

Took me a few years, but I embraced it, built muscle, because I like being strong and I like how working out makes me feel.

Now I'm cutting back smartly, but it legit took me three years to figure it out. Nothing wrong with you, all bodies are weird and different! Enjoy finding the data points!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    males lose like that. its infuriating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    hoofman04 wrote: »
    Your gaining muscle! Congrats...lol i highly doubt if your doing that exercise your gaining fat!

Unfortunately it is really slow and difficult for women to gain muscle, especially while eating at a deficit. It is highly unlikely OP put on enough muscle to change her measurements and gain a lb on the scale in just a month.

And you can do the most calorie-burning exercise on the planet and gain fat, if you end up eating more extra calories than the exercise burned.