Can you give me some egg-vice?

Options
Is it ok I eat 2 or 3 eggs a day in my weight loss plan, yolk and all?
I see a lot of people only using egg whites....
Is this because of the fat or cholesterol? Isn't it CICO?
Do you think it's ok and I will still be successful with my weight loss? I always stay under my allotted calories....and that's why it's so egg-celent to me that they are just 70 calories a pop and high protein. I am not yolking with you, i just love them and just want to make sure they aren't harming or stalling my progression..Any egg-vice on this will be helpful. Thank you!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yes it's ok.

CICO is all you need, a couple eggs each day won't be a problem.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you have high cholesterol already, it's not an issue.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Most people with high cholesterol are not sensitive to dietary cholesterol. Yolks are fine.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Eggs and cholesterol are a red herring. If you like eggs eat them. They are very good for you
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites for my omelets because I prefer the taste that way. When I make a scramble, I use whole eggs. Other ways, it depends, but it's always for either a lower calorie count or flavor, not because of cholesterol/fat. (Aside from the contribution to the calories)
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You are very punny! I eat whole eggs because I don’t like plain whites and the calories it saves are not considerable for me. Only 55 calories per egg.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You are very punny! I eat whole eggs because I don’t like plain whites and the calories it saves are not considerable for me. Only 55 calories per egg.

You must be eating some small eggs (literally). They don't sell eggs that small at my grocery store. You can find mediums a lot of the time, which are 63 kcal each, but most of the eggs they sell are large (which is the standard for most baking), at 72 kcal each.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

You must be eating some small eggs (literally). They don't sell eggs that small at my grocery store. You can find mediums a lot of the time, which are 63 kcal each, but most of the eggs they sell are large (which is the standard for most baking), at 72 kcal each.

If the whole egg is 72 and the white is 17....voila, 55 calories saved by eating the white only.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

If the whole egg is 72 and the white is 17....voila, 55 calories saved by eating the white only.

I consider 15 extra grams of cheese at the expense of removing one yolk well worth it! But then again, I don't mind a 2 egg one white omelet and don't think a 3 egg omelet with less cheese is leaps and bounds better. Again, it's back to preferences.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat more egg whites. I "munch on them". I can have 6 for the same calories as two full eggs. Plus I can break up my macros and have fat from avocado or cheese.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I was unclear; I was referring to the calories of only the yolk. In the context of my diet, 55 calories isn’t very much.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Whites are a low calorie source of protein, so that's why some people like them.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the whole egg. Having both macros in 1 also saves me the hassle of having to find a source of fat to eat too. And, it tastes good. Egg whites taste like nothing so they need some more attention to make them taste good.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is it ok I eat 2 or 3 eggs a day in my weight loss plan, yolk and all?
    I see a lot of people only using egg whites....
    Is this because of the fat or cholesterol? Isn't it CICO?
    Do you think it's ok and I will still be successful with my weight loss? I always stay under my allotted calories....and that's why it's so egg-celent to me that they are just 70 calories a pop and high protein. I am not yolking with you, i just love them and just want to make sure they aren't harming or stalling my progression..Any egg-vice on this will be helpful. Thank you!

When you eat just the whites, you get a lot more protein for the calories than eating whole eggs. And some people don't like egg yolks.

And yes, weight loss is all about calories, but people can have other goals than just weight loss, and those goals might lead them to make food choices that aren't just about calories. If that isn't you, then the whole egg is fine!
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes, eggs are good nutrition. If you think about it the yolk has all the nutrients for a chick to develop, it’s eggcellent food for most humans too!
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, Eggciting news. Than i shall carry on..
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    people live just find stuffing themselves with good and bad food alike to get us to the positions we had to come here lol. A few eggs is 100% not a problem lol. Eggs are tiny nutritional powerhouses ill never understand the blogs trying to blame them for heart diseases and stuff lol. I once saw a blog claiming that and the picture of the blog was a huge cheeseburger with bacon... with fries and an egg on top. LOL
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The white has protein...

The yolk has everything else that makes eggs great nutrition including more protein.

By eating only whites one is pretty much missing out on half the protein and all the nutrients.

Now, I often will add whites to whole eggs so I can get more food and not take the calorie hit. But I never do whites only.