Lesson from A-Rod ...

Options

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Who the hell is A-Rod...?

He's a baseball player for the New York Yankees. He was associated with a clinic in Miami that was associated with steroids. The MLB tried to suspend him through 2014, but he is appealing the decision. 12 other players took 50 game suspensions.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Cheating to me is not the issue. I get that people do it, and hey, if you don't get caught, more power to you. But you got caught, don't try to justify why. Accept it and move on.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

He's a baseball player for the New York Yankees. He was associated with a clinic in Miami that was associated with steroids. The MLB tried to suspend him through 2014, but he is appealing the decision. 12 other players took 50 game suspensions.

So why doesn't he man up and take his suspension?

He's a f*cking coward, that's why.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Cheating to me is not the issue. I get that people do it, and hey, if you don't get caught, more power to you. But you got caught, don't try to justify why. Accept it and move on.

He wasn't caught. He never tested positive for PEDs.
  • TyTy76
    Options

Neither was Lance Armstrong.

A-Rod DID admit to it though..
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

A guy who got rich playing with balls.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Yankees? Isn't that baseball?

Seriously, if you Americans take a made up crappy game so seriously and pay hacks who spend most of the game sitting on their butt or out on the field picking their nose then you deserve to be scammed.

Start watching better games.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I thought Lance finally came out and admitted to it, though. Or was it just that he stopped fighting it? I thought he stopped fighting it and then admitted it later. I don't know. I don't follow closely enough to remember.
  • TyTy76
    Options

I thought Lance finally came out and admitted to it, though. Or was it just that he stopped fighting it? I thought he stopped fighting it and then admitted it later. I don't know. I don't follow closely enough to remember.

Lance did, eventually.
  • rml_16
    Options

Lance did, eventually.
    OK, good. I thought that happened, and then I thought maybe I imagined it and I really am losing my mind! lol

A-Rod seems to be doing exactly what Lance did, though. I'm guessing he did it. It annoys me because I think it makes mockery of the game, but at the same time, I realize they all do it. In the end, it affects me not at all. None of the suspensions affected my team, either.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Lance did, eventually.
    OK, good. I thought that happened, and then I thought maybe I imagined it and I really am losing my mind! lol

A-Rod seems to be doing exactly what Lance did, though. I'm guessing he did it. It annoys me because I think it makes mockery of the game, but at the same time, I realize they all do it. In the end, it affects me not at all. None of the suspensions affected my team, either.

Lose Nelly Cruz and tell me how you feel about it :(
    lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    Lose Nelly Cruz and tell me how you feel about it :(
    lol

Seeing as I'm not a Rangers fan ....
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    A-Rod got 211 game suspension, not 50...they wanted to set an example
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If someone came to you tomorrow and said I have a pill you can take that will make you 50% more effective at your job and guarantee that you will be rich beyond most people's dreams... would you take it? What would stop you from taking it?

Morals?

Ask your morals to make a mortgage payment...
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If someone came to you tomorrow and said I have a pill you can take that will make you 50% more effective at your job and guarantee that you will be rich beyond most people's dreams... would you take it? What would stop you from taking it?

Don't bring perspective into this. People are trying to be holier than thou.

Hahaha I love this. So much performance is expected of these athletes, with so much on the line for them. Expecting them to play so much, injured and all. Its no wonder they use PEDs. And with someone that is contracted in with such a huge contract, there is more pressure on him to perform. Many things need to change in professional sports before this issue will go away.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The problem is the new standard that has been set. The average number of home runs in a season now is about 5000. Compare that with the average of 3000 in the 70s or less than 2000 in the 50s. Who wants to pay MLB prices for games where you'd see less than a third the average home runs hit in comparison to what you get now? Clearly it's not just a couple players juicing here.

ETA source of my statistics: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr6.shtml

Morally it's not right, but you can see where the pressure comes from. I think A-Rod is less than laudable for not facing the music, but would you really want to be made an example of if EVERYONE were doing the same thing as you and you just happened to be the bigger name? Especially if you were suspended for more games than what is in the player's agreement. Same goes for Armstrong, he was definitely not the only person doping in his Tour winning streak, he was just the best of the dopers. I think it's human nature to not want to be made an example of, even if you were doing the wrong thing.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    With how prevalent steroid use is in professional baseball, I would say the playing field is pretty level. For every all-star who juices, there's a few hundred nobodies who also juice. Just about every record that currently stands in the sport was set by someone who juiced.

Seriously this. As someone who was good, but not good enough to play professionally, looking back at the alternative (living a desk job life), I probably would have juiced my brains out to see if I could get another 5-10 mph on the fastball and go from a mediocre mid 80's to mid 90's give this guy a signing bonus.

Off the top of my head I can think of 15 guys that openly talked about taking them that never did anything, except maybe make it to the lower minor leagues. People act he is the only one, no just the only one who got caught. You guys know there is an offseason right? Where testing doesn't occur. You can hit a cycle and take your other meds to come off of it and get ready for spring training. That's why you always see people get caught in spring training more than anytime else because they don't cycle off it right. Not to mention microdosing that isn't even detectable by current drug tests because the type of test is too expensive to administer on that scale.

This conversation always reminds me a kid I played against in high school. Tall Lefty, threw low mid 90's and dropped bombs as well. First pick in the second round (million dollar or some signing bonus). He was a "natural" talent. A phenom. Oh wait, 2 years in he was suspended for PED's. Guess not.

I'm sure there are clean players, lots of them. But this isn't a handful of bad apples, its an orchard.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options

Morals?

Ask your morals to make a mortgage payment...

Thankfully I don't have a multimillion dollar lifestyle.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    With how prevalent steroid use is in professional baseball, I would say the playing field is pretty level. For every all-star who juices, there's a few hundred nobodies who also juice. Just about every record that currently stands in the sport was set by someone who juiced.

Seriously this. As someone who was good, but not good enough to play professionally, looking back at the alternative (living a desk job life), I probably would have juiced my brains out to see if I could get another 5-10 mph on the fastball and go from a mediocre mid 80's to mid 90's give this guy a signing bonus.

Off the top of my head I can think of 15 guys that openly talked about taking them that never did anything, except maybe make it to the lower minor leagues. People act he is the only one, no just the only one who got caught. You guys know there is an offseason right? Where testing doesn't occur. You can hit a cycle and take your other meds to come off of it and get ready for spring training. That's why you always see people get caught in spring training more than anytime else because they don't cycle off it right. Not to mention microdosing that isn't even detectable by current drug tests because the type of test is too expensive to administer on that scale.

This conversation always reminds me a kid I played against in high school. Tall Lefty, threw low mid 90's and dropped bombs as well. First pick in the second round (million dollar or some signing bonus). He was a "natural" talent. A phenom. Oh wait, 2 years in he was suspended for PED's. Guess not.

I'm sure there are clean players, lots of them. But this isn't a handful of bad apples, its an orchard.

^ This. And it's a business like any other. It's not been a "game" in decades.
  • PlanetoftheAtheists
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me why I do not watch tv.

What a sh$thead.