Button up buttercup; it's going to be a bumpy ride

CarvedTones
CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
I decided to say this in a new thread instead of responding to an existing one because it would have come off as a personal attack on the OP.

Few people lose to their goal without having some days where they go over, some disappointment at how the scale doesn't move in a linear fashion, some days of self doubt when you wonder if you can really keep this up, some days where you make some food choices that leave you hungry, some loss of motivation and/or other issues that seem like they could do you in.

You need discipline more than motivation. Motivation has a very short shelf life; don't depend on it. Don't let missteps derail you. Don't spend time and energy on excuses and remorse.

If you track calories, and I think you should, don't ever make exceptions. If you have no clue about an item because it was home made or whatever and you couldn't weigh the portion, take a wild guess and log it anyway. I think it is more important to never get in the habit of making exceptions to logging food than it is to always be correct in what you log. But try to always be correct; weigh everything you can.

Don't throw a pity party every time you make a misstep. Just move on. Learn from it and try to minimize missteps. The number of threads with people commiserating about some mistake they made or concern they have about the scale is mind boggling. I think the coddling that goes on in some of those threads is counterproductive. You made a misstep. No, it's not okay to do that, but it's not the end of the world to do something that's not okay. Just don't keep doing it and move on.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    Oops - was supposed to be Buckle up buttercup; it's going to be a bumpy ride...
  • jamiespeight
    jamiespeight Posts: 7 Member
    I would agree, well said, I'm over a month into counting my calories, I've done it in the past but always given up eventually and made the food mistakes that got me to where I am now, I am now really determined and logging every last little bit.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Totally agree whining does nothing, and who wants to listen to someone else whine not me. And I decided enough is enough, I am a type 2 diabetic hello self, get your butt in gear. Listen to self and your Dr;s there are no miracle cures out there. Only I can make it happen to get off or at least to less medications for type 2 Diabetes. So I have become mindful of what I buy. No more processed foods, no more grains, no more sugar. And every food must be weighed before it goes on a plate, and into my mouth. They have some slick portable scales out there.
    I will admit just starting on this journey to a much more healthier me. And I know where I slip up the most and will decline those things that tempt me at this point so I will stay away from the so called slippery slope. If others do not like it, I consider it there issue not mine. At almost 60, I too see it as now is the time and I am going to do it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,301 Member
    well said & I don't understand how ppl who lose 1lbs a week are upset it's not more. I just turned 64 & lost 50 lbs,(want to lose 10 more) haven't been losing anymore but I'm not complaining...it's because most days I eat at maintenance because I enjoy it, so it's all on me
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Nah, I'll come clean. I joined MFP a couple years before my doctor suggested it to me...and did nothing. I wasn't ready. But I owned it, didn't post endless threads about how terrible it all was. Just decided "yeah, I'm not ready" and quietly went away.

It's not hard but it does require vigilance, is what I'm learning. I think people expect to fail, which is what makes the unwillingness to take advice all the more frustrating. But on another level, I get how they might be cynical. "I tried all these other things and they didn't work. This sounds too simple." And from what I see for myself and from reading other people's success stories, it *is* simple. Not easy, but it is simple.

I wouldn't ever be mean to someone - you never know what challenges someone else has in their life - but you can say something only so many times and if the person doesn't listen, well, good luck to you. I do think some people troll for attention with their stories. Not all, for sure...but some.

And part of my attitude comes from the fact I work with members of the military. Excuses are not considered - you are expected to learn from your mistakes and make progress. I know it can seem a little hard-nosed but I confess I'm a results oriented person. I don't feel like I've been around long enough yet to give advice. Maybe in a year or so. But I am a scientist and when different people give good advice to someone and get fluffed off, I feel bad for that person because they've wasted time on woo, why not take this good suggestion? Make it easier for yourself, not harder.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I am the type of person who needs the daily logging and the discipline to get the weight off and maintain the loss. This is the way it has to be for the rest of my life, simple fact.

Heard that. Recognized myself in that observation.

It was hard to get this far. I'm not going to go through it again. Thanks for the reminder. :)

• CarvedTones
    @NovusDies - I haven't failed at losing weight when I was careful about what I ate not exceeding what I burned. I have failed at discipline to keep going until I hit goal and I have failed at maintenance. I am committed to this time being different. Two months into maintenance, I am down maybe a pound or two, but still within my range. It's still early, but that hasn't happened before. There was no mystery as to what caused failures in the past.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have seen several ah-ha moments in my short time here. I have also seen people who were already so shut down they weren't ready for advice they just want to rant/vent. Often times these people have been under the impression they had to eat "healthy" or "diet" food and they are sick of it. Accountability is important but so is picking the right path. You can go at a slight incline to get to your goal or you can deprive yourself and be stuck climbing stairs the whole time. As a former stair climber I can tell you no amount of determination, willpower, accountability, or discipline is going to last for long when the scale doesn't move.

Also, I didn't say there was no compassion here. There is plenty and as it should be. I was responding to the "no crying in baseball" comments earlier in the thread.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Compassion is an attitude toward others. Enabling is a strategy, or maybe a set of actions. Compassion need not involve enabling. OP, when you think people need a bit of a face-slap, I'd encourage you to administer the tough love (if and only if you're up for it). Different people respond best to different strategies. Different experienced "old hand" posters deliver different strategies. That's a good thing.

Even people who're deluding themselves will improve their lives if they find a way to succeed.

IMO, only pure snark or pseudoscience/broscience are unhelpful to all

A million years ago, there was a "dear mean people of MFP" thread (I think it was "cleansed"; not certain). In it, the OP thanked MFP mean people for not letting him/her (I forget which) delude him/herself, and for, instead, being honest and tough and unrelenting.

Different approaches help different people. If you wanna do tough love, do tough love . . . or just tough. Sure, you'll get some pushback from warm/fuzzy strategy old hands: That's just part of the strategy. Under the covers, we work together, good cop/bad cop, one big ol' compassionate conspiracy. :drinker:

Personally, I don't disagree with a word of your OP. I might not choose those specific words on every thread myself, but they're good words. JMO.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Tough love is an excellent strategy for some people. That is not where you start it is where you might end up. Even when tough love is the right call it can't come from a lack of patience or a lack of empathy. We don't want to run people off any faster than they already seem to leave.

I don't disagree with everything but for me it came across as "my way or the highway" and/or "walk it off". I am perfectly willing to be wrong if I misinterpreted it.