Diet?

What kind of diet is everyone doing? Keto? Low calorie or low carb? I lost 16 on Keto but find it very difficult to maintain Ketosis of more than 1.1 per my blood meter so I thought I may check to see what is out there these days

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't follow any specific diet. I eat the foods I enjoy in appropriate quantities to help create a calorie deficit.

^ That’s all you need to do. Eat the way you plan to eat the rest of your life and stay within your calories for your goals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I don't follow any specific diet. I eat the foods I enjoy in appropriate quantities to help create a calorie deficit.
    ^ This.

kimny72 wrote: »
    I would classify my diet as moderate carb, protein, and fat with an ample helping of treats and no real rules other than not exceeding my calories. I strive to eat more protein, veggies, and fiber but it doesn't always happen. I feel deprived if I go more than a week without pizza, and more than a couple of days without icecream so I make sure not to let that happen! I lost 15 lbs two years ago, maintained for about a year, lost 5 more lbs last summer/fall and have been maintaining since.

Trying to follow a specific diet failed for me for about 10 years, so I don't do that anymore :smiley:
    ^ And this.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    The best diet is the one that fits you and is a basis for how you will eat the rest of your life. If you need any help getting started on a diet plan that you build just ask. There are plenty of very knowledgeable people here that can nudge you in the right direction.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The Canada Food guide. Pre logging to stay on goal helps.
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    philrtx wrote: »
    I'm on low-carb Lifetime Maintenance. Starting weight: Over 450 pounds 14 June 2015. Lowest weight: 180 Pounds 14 June 2016. Current Weight ~200 pounds for the last two years.

Did I read this right? You lost 270 pounds in exactly one year???? That's more than 20 pounds a month. If so, congrats to you. That is phenomenal!!!
  • philrtx
    philrtx Posts: 68 Member
    Did I read this right? You lost 270 pounds in exactly one year???? That's more than 20 pounds a month. If so, congrats to you. That is phenomenal!!!

You read it right, I did that. It's funny, no one really says anything about it anymore. I guess because it's been a couple of years.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    What kind of diet is everyone doing? Keto? Low calorie or low carb? I lost 16 on Keto but find it very difficult to maintain Ketosis of more than 1.1 per my blood meter so I thought I may check to see what is out there these days

I stopped tracking my ketone levels after I learned it was not a real factor in regaining my health but I have worked to keep my daily carbs at 50 grams or just under for going on four years. Health improvements are still coming my way.

Key is to find a way that works for you and do it.

Keep up the success the way that works best for YOU.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Eat the way you plan to eat the rest of your life

This sums it up perfectly. You need to create a calorie deficit. How you choose to do that is up to you, there are no wrong ways unless the way you choose to do it isn't sustainable for the rest of your life.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Due to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome issues I am doing low carb/high protein and it works for me as long as I stick to it and work to keep CICO numbers good. Of my 2160 calorie allowance, that means roughly 80g carbs and 160g protein.

We (wife and I) are working on making it a long term lifestyle change. The first time a few years ago I went from 387 to 295 in a little over a year (walking daily as well) and then fell off the wagon. This time around we are working together pretty well on it, gym 3 times a week and have gone from 356 at the beginning of March to 303 as of Friday. The more I lose, I know the more it will slow down and my calories will have to get tighter but right now it is working to get it started and we will adjust as we go along. :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Finally I have come to realize that the answer is not a "diet" but a healthy meal plan which I can stick to long term. There is not one "diet" for everyone who wants to lose / gain weight. I have to find my own healthy meal plan, stay under the myfitnesspal suggested calories, try to get used to portion control, record everything I eat during the day and do whatever exercise I can do with my weight (160 kg, 352 pounds.)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My diet is basically a calorie controlled diet (not low calorie) and my food choices are geared towards minimizing dieting stress. If I'm presented with several choices I always pick the one that makes dieting easier for me at that moment.

Example:
    I want cake. Sometimes it's definitely worth it because having it would make me happy without affecting my overall diet, other times it's not worth it because I'm hungry and having it would make me even hungier, yet other times it's "possibly worth it, but more likely isn't", like if I had cake too often within a short period of time and it's affecting my nutrition - I just tell myself "later" most of the time in this case.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I eat whatever I want with the only rule that I remain in a calorie deficit. I eat mostly healthy, but I never deprive myself of anything. This way I change my eating habits without feeling guilty if I decide to have chocolate or piece of cake or some Cheetos.

A calorie deficit is the how to lose weight. That's it. Adding exercise helps tremendously, as does a very healthy diet. But, if you are miserable because of your diet, that's not good either. Unless you are willing to change your lifelong eating habits to a particular diet, weight generally comes right back on as soon as you stop the diet, that's why most "diets" fail. Find an eating habits that you can stick to for the rest of your life.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I eat whatever I want with the only rule that I remain in a calorie deficit. I eat mostly healthy, but I never deprive myself of anything. This way I change my eating habits without feeling guilty if I decide to have chocolate or piece of cake or some Cheetos.

A calorie deficit is the how to lose weight. That's it. Adding exercise helps tremendously, as does a very healthy diet. But, if you are miserable because of your diet, that's not good either. Unless you are willing to change your lifelong eating habits to a particular diet, weight generally comes right back on as soon as you stop the diet, that's why most "diets" fail. Find an eating habits that you can stick to for the rest of your life.

^ This. Choosing an unrealistic, overly restrictive approach rarely results in success because most people aren't going to last long trying to white-knuckle it through every day. The most likely outcomes are either a full-blown eating disorder or an epic fail/regain.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

^This, because it's a life-long approach.

I've done the "dieting" approach that got me to goal weight. Step 1 accomplished. Then I promptly gained the weight back (far too common) because "dieting" did nothing to prepare me for maintenance.

Pick something that also prepares you for maintenance. In other words, something that has things in common with how you expect to eat forever.