Intermittent fasting - research suggesting it raises risk of diabetes.

angiew321
angiew321 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I don't know enough about the subject to comment (and I don't do intermittent fasting myself) but thought this might be of interest to those on intermittent diets, or the dieticians/nutritionists on this forum.

My only comment is that this piece of research was done on rats not humans, so whether it will be the same in humans is anyone's guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    A fine thing that fasting can be used to reverse diabetes, too, then.
  • Ayshford
    Ayshford Posts: 1 Member
    I recently started an IF plan that limits the times at which you eat - basically, you fast for 16 hours and have an 8 hour eating window, with the emphasis on a balanced mix of healthy, wholesome foods, i.e. not processed rubbish. I have read a lot of research around this and the effects on insulin balance as well as other hormones, especially ghrelin and growth hormones seem to be pretty positive. I've lost 6 lbs in two weeks and feel great. It's easy to fit into my lifestyle, although it took my body a couple of days to get used to the new pattern.
  • kkmulholland2
    kkmulholland2 Posts: 8 Member
    Suggest we not post research NOT done on humans. Totally pointless.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Agreed. But so far, 100% of the evidence presented in favor of the "miracle" aspects of intermittent fasting is based upon animal research. So that applies to both sides of the coin.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    ive done IF most of my life and I will be 44 in august and so far so good even when obese I wasnt diabetic or even prediabetic.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I do an 8-12 hours daily intermittent fast every night.

Take any collegiate level human physiology course, the human body is adapted to go days without food. The same adaptation is why human easily store fat as energy reserves.
  • angiew321
    angiew321 Posts: 17 Member

I did actually point that out - please see my second paragraph. ;)
  • LoveJoyFood
    LoveJoyFood Posts: 15 Member
    I always believe everything I read in The Guardian. When will they write an article entitled: Sugar Consumption Increases Risk of Diabetes." ?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    This shows IF can improve IR without weight loss in prediabetics.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(18)30253-5