Arabic low calorie recipes

Options
mirnadababneh
mirnadababneh Posts: 30 Member
I'm having a problem.finding the ingredients in most of the recepies on youtube and pintrest as an arab ... we don't have all these ingredients ,, so can you help me with commom recepies with ingredients easy to find ?

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Your request is a bit vague because you don't state what common ingredients are to you. Also have you tried searching for specific cuisines.

I am a big fan of this Mujaddara recipe which I found on pinterest. I also like to top this spiced egg recipe with broccoli

Also you might try to find a blog of a person who lives in a similar region as you as they would have access to similar ingredients. You can always leave ingredients out or make substitutions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What foods and dishes do you like? I may be able to help you if I knew more about your preferences.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What foods and dishes do you like? I may be able to help you if I knew more about your preferences.

Same here. Middle Eastern cuisine has a lot of variety, so I'm curious about which dishes youre thinking of.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Well, until you come back, here is what I had today so far and have about 500 calories left for dinner:

uloo1pohho1h.png
  • mirnadababneh
    mirnadababneh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm basicly looking for low caloric dishes ,it doesn't really matter since I eat everything .
    tuna, boiled eggs, chicken with veggies is what I mostly eat in my diet I'm trying to avoid rice and white bread . and the options are very limited ,, I'm bored of repeating what i eat and I'm just looking for good recepies with easy to find ingredients.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Avoiding bread and rice is not necessary for dieting (I have lost more than 40 kilos so far eating all the things I usually eat). Going very low on calories is also not the best thing you can do, because it can create this tendency of quitting sooner than you would like because it feels hard and unsustainable.

With that said, if you would rather not have rice and bread because they don't fill you up, there are many ways to edit your existing meals. Many local meals are usually modular, in the sense that it's rice or bread with something else. All you need to do is have the same meal but without the rice or bread, and supplement with vegetables or protein.

As for recipes you find online, you can just swap ingredients for something else. For example, I use green pepper instead of celery in recipes that have celery. White potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Chicken breast instead of turkey. Cauliflower instead of broccoli when the local shop doesn't have broccoli, freekeh instead of quinoa, spinach instead of kale, cabbage instead of brussels sprouts...etc. The only problem is when a recipe has reduced fat cheese, which I don't have a ready access to. In that case, I just use less of a regular fat cheese.

ETA: here is a website you might like. It has many nice recipes. Not all may work out for substitutions, but many of them do.
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/

I made this one the other day and it was good. I took some liberties with herbs because I didn't have them all and cooked it on the stovetop, but it still turned out good.
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/chickpea-tomato-soup-with-rosemary//