Hemorrhaging Money

Options
scottaworley
scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
Okay, not really, but I'm not gaining it as fast as I would like on the stock market.
What are your favorite long term stocks with consistent returns?

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Apple.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    I'm kind of frustrated with Apple at the moment, but I am hanging onto it in hopes that they will start being groundbreaking again.
    I bought at basically the worst time and have taken a big hit on them at the moment.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You have more money than me if you can actually afford Apple stock.

I'm out.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Is this one of those things where I have to pay for this advice?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Smuckers, without a doubt. Get this, get this and keep going with it. It's been a consistent winner since the 1980s, and keeps getting better.

I was going to say Boeing, too, but this 787 debacle is annoying. However, their stock WILL rise, as Airbus shot themselves in the foot with the A380.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Smuckers, without a doubt. Get this, get this and keep going with it. It's been a consistent winner since the 1980s, and keeps getting better.

I was going to say Boeing, too, but this 787 debacle is annoying. However, their stock WILL rise, as Airbus shot themselves in the foot with the A380.

Thanks for the tips!
    I'll keep an eye on both of them.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Proctor and Gamble has been pretty good for me over the years.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Proctor and Gamble has been pretty good for me over the years.

P&G has been good.

I also have been getting some growth with American Capitol (AGNC). It has been paying decent dividends for the last few years, but recently the price took a fairly significant hit. I was slow to jump into it as it is primarily real estate, but no complaints.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Right now? Real estate.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Costco stock has doubled since 2009. :)
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Right now? Real estate.

Real estate is just too much work for me right now. Wish I could flip and rent some houses.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Costco stock has doubled since 2009. :)

Wish I bought in 2009 :/. I'll keep an eye on it!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    PSEC. Good value right now and pays great dvis.

There were several Euro mrket stocks I liked, but I've lost more than I care to admit on them in the last year. The are rising again, but not worth the peaks and valley's unless you have dilignet market itming.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Amazon - numbers are looking good for this year.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I bouhgt Apple years ago at 11.90 a share. Over the next few years it zoomed to close to $90 and I sold, thinking it would never go over $100. Yeah, I kick myself.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm up 200% on Visa...
    60% on Ford...
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you have money to invest in the stock market, then why waste your money?

Why not invest it into making it work for you to make a sound return?
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Krispy Kreme is up 130% since January.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Let me elaborate, the only way you are going to make money is property. (real estate) Buy it rent it. Full stop.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Let me elaborate, the only way you are going to make money is property. (real estate) Buy it rent it. Full stop.

I've looked into it. There are a few reasons why I'm not willing to invest in real estate right now. I do not have the cash to buy property outright, so I would have to use the bank's money. That diminishes my returns by around 3% per year. While there is a lot of equity involved in real estate there is not a lot of liquid, and it is not easy to convert the equity into liquid. At this point in my life cash is king. In my market (Dallas) there are not a lot of great deals on property. Anything that I would get at a discount to make my investment (in my mind) worth it would take a ton of work to get rental or flip ready. I don't have that kind of time. In the same vein I don't have time for regular maintenance on investment properties. Finally, I am uncomfortable making an investment of $150k+ that does not have a guaranteed return. Again, I'm just not in that place in my life yet.
    I have begun investing in debt (lending club), but again the liquidity is an issue for me.