5x5 question

I had been weightlifting last year and was doing well and feeling good. I had some health issues and a car accident come up and have been out of the gym for about a year. I’m ready to get back to it, so I’m planning to start the 5x5 plan to work up weight. I have done all the movements before but bent over bar bell rows really mess with my elbow after an elbow injury I had. Would I be able to do seated rows or something else in place of that and still see good results?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Sure you can. Your body doesn't know what exercise you're doing, it just knows what muscles are being utilized.
  • mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    5x5 works well, as I'm sure you know. Does the gym have a trainer/coach you can discuss this with? Otherwise a decent sports physio? I was warned off heavy lifts after a major ankle operation, but there's a degree of detail that you will need to chase down yourself. Be careful - another three months rehab won't help you!
  • asbandr
    asbandr Posts: 39 Member
    I have been working closely with my chiropractor and he’s encouraged me to get back to lifting. I’ve noticed a lot of doctors have the mentality of “if you’ve ever hurt yourself doing something, never do it again.” Which I think is the wrong attitude. That’s why I’m looking at alternatives to exercises that I worry may cause issues. And no, there’s not really any trainers or coaches in my small town gym.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    It makes a lot more sense to choose an alternative exercise that doesn't cause pain/injury than it does to purposefully do an exercise which does. Even if an exercise is "less optimal" in terms of gains/results (which is not the case in your situation anyway), that's not nearly as "less optimal" as injuring yourself and not being able to train at all.

The only people who have to train certain lifts are powerlifters and Olympic lifters, because they compete in those particular lifts and those lifts only. Everybody/anybody else without those specific goals has plenty of options available to them in terms of what exercises to do.

Professionally designed "cookie cutter" routines such as SS, SL5x5, Greyskull, Doggcrapp, 531, PHAT, PHUL, etc., are all designed with the assumption that you're a healthy individual with no injuries/limitations. If you were to go to an actual trainer that knew his/her stuff about program design, I can just about 100% guarantee you that they would quiz you about any injuries and limitations (among other things) and would not design a routine for you that included movements which would cause/aggravate your injuries or go against your personal limitations. They would use their training and knowledge to work around them in the best way possible.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have a shoulder that bothers me, so heavy rows or OHP are sometimes not ok. I just sub lighter OHP/more reps or do dumbbell press with a different angle. For my back, I can sub pull ups or back flys. Search for substitutions that work the same/similar muscles.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Inverted rows are fantastic and might work for you as well. Also look into getting a strap to stabilize the elbow or a sleeve. I had tendonitis issues in both my shoulder and elbow, but using a strap has helped tremendously.
  • phillipmcsorley666
    phillipmcsorley666 Posts: 1 Member
    Make sure to warm up
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    You can try body weight rows on a horizontal or parallel bar, which will allow you some flexibility with over or underhand or mixed grip close or wide. If that don't work another variant is to put your bench on an incline say 30 deg. Lay belly down on it and do dumbell rows. Anyway good luck, Sounds like you have a good guy in your corner encouraging you to get back into it.