Hidden calories in spices

Options
I just thought it interesting that onion powder and garlic powder have calories when so many other spices don't contain any. Why wasn't I aware those 2 did? Good to know..
I wonder what other spices contain calories?
I guess you would only care if you are trying to be extremely accurate with your logging.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    They all have calories. It's just that, if it's fewer than 5 calories for a serving, they're legally allowed to state it's 0 calories on food labels. But yeah, they're usually so low calorie that many don't bother logging them.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It was a little surprising that McCormick onion powder has 24 cals in a Tablespoon.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Some have sugar too in the mixed blends
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also watch the sodium!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It was a little surprising that McCormick onion powder has 24 cals in a Tablespoon.
    Onion is a vegetable and mostly carbs. Drying and grinding it concentrates that energy into a smaller volume.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Some more than others, depending on the origin and the blend. I learned to watch out Trader Joe's "everything but the bagel" seasoning. Adds up if you use a lot of it.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy them by all means include them in your cooking. Herbs and spices contain micronutrients and the flavor they add can reduce the amount of salt needed in your foods.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Most recipes I've used are spreading a teaspoon to tableoon of spice over at least 6 servings so the amount they are adding to a single serving is fairly small. I feel comfortable being less accurate with most spices and herbs.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    That list just verifies to me that they are not worth counting.

That list is for tablespoons.

I can't think of any recpie I have made that uses more than 1 teaspoon - a third or a quarter of a tablespoon - at most. Often less than that
    And that usually to a recipe that makes several serves.