noob running question

Options
Training for a 5K and trying to increase my mileage by 10% each week. Yesterday was a scheduled rest day but instead of resting I hiked 5 miles. HRM had me at about 65% most of the time, slow pace but some climbing (very hilly). So, count as mileage or no? BTW my legs were killing me on my 3 mile run this morning....def. worked my muscles yesterday even though it wasn't very cardio intense. Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'd class it as cross training so yes it would count towards your training just as much as cycling or swimming would
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes. You're building muscle in your legs, arguably the same way an early run in the C25K program would. I'm considerably more experienced today, but when I was at your level just 2 years ago I would still go for walks or a light bike ride on my off days just to keep moving. Cross training is an important part of any running plan, regardless of distance. 100% count it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes. You're building muscle in your legs, arguably the same way an early run in the C25K program would. I'm considerably more experienced today, but when I was at your level just 2 years ago I would still go for walks or a light bike ride on my off days just to keep moving. Cross training is an important part of any running plan, regardless of distance. 100% count it!

Easy on "building muscle". You may be training muscle, but at a caloric deficit you're not going to really build. You will add strength and endurance, but not necessarily build.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't count towards running mileage. Though it uses the same muscle groups, building your mileage as a runner isn't really about the muscles as it is the pounding on your joints and tendons. Your muscles are MUCH more adaptable than your joints, and the reason to go slow and *kitten* mileage slowly is to ease your joints in to it. Walking and hiking are great cross training, but they don't pound the joints the same way running does, so they're just not interchangeable.

That said, depending on your level of fitness, if you feel AT ALL like your joints are getting sore this week, back off the running and ice and rest.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I would argue otherwise.
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Building was the wrong word... strengthening, is better. I wouldn't count a 5 mile hike as equal to a 3 mile jog, or any other distance run for that matter - they're clearly not close to the same. But, you can't discount the value of a hard hike/cross train as part of a running training plan.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what you are saying, MoreBean. I have been warned against increasing mileage too quickly, but I didn't realize it had so much to do with the joints. This is good - it means I can still run and increase my mileage according to plan and count the hike as non-running miles. Great, thanks!