C25K help

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    levinemr2 wrote: »
    Has anyone else done C25K? I've started and stopped about a hundred times, but I am currently stuck in week 4. Any advice on how to keep myself motivated? Anyone else just want talk about their successes or struggles?

What I'd suggest is that W4 isn't about motivation, it's about reflecting on where you are, and what progress you've made.

Rather than thinking about this being a long run, think about it as missing out a short walking break.
  • RoseAllisonx
    RoseAllisonx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’ve been stuck on week 4 loads of times as well, which made me quit the program.. but then I decided to just go for it, started from w4 again - slowed down a bit during the running parts and now I’m at W7, D2! :)
    My motivation/discipline comes mainly from the fact that I really want to finish this program and be able to run a 5k. (i’ve restarted this program way too many times..)

I also signed up for a mud run, which is only a few weeks away and I want to be as ready as I can be!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Motivation has a short shelf life. Discipline is how it is done. Commit to it and follow through.

I'd disagree with this. To an extent commitment is just one form of motivation anyway, so it becomes a question of how to do that.

Run with others, keep increasing the challenge, book events. These are all different ways to do it.

Equally, in this instance, it's about framing the challenge in a meaningful way.

From time to time, I would go through the motions with zero motivation, but I would make myself do it and it helped me improve.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem to be mentioned yet. Have you tried to slightly slow down your pace? You haven't mentioned the pace you are running and many beginners try to start too quickly.
    After completing C25K, you'll be able to run for 30 minutes straight. It's doubtful and not likely that you'll run 5K in that 30 minutes. Maybe around3K.

Other than that, you'll get better by putting miles under your shoes. It takes time; patience is required. You're doing great. Just keep with the program; repeat days as required, slow down. It'll fall into place.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Motivation has a short shelf life. Discipline is how it is done. Commit to it and follow through.

I'd disagree with this. To an extent commitment is just one form of motivation anyway, so it becomes a question of how to do that.

Run with others, keep increasing the challenge, book events. These are all different ways to do it.

Equally, in this instance, it's about framing the challenge in a meaningful way.

From time to time, I would go through the motions with zero motivation, but I would make myself do it and it helped me improve.

So what made you go through the motions? Why you bothered, is the motivation.

About a month ago I did a double; 50K, followed by a marathon the following day. Twenty miles into the marathon, I was on fumes. It's a similar thing, what motivated me to get up and do the marathon, and what motivated me to keep going? Two different things, but in the context of the originator the are many parallels. What's the why?
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of the c210k. I very rarely think "I want to run, I'm looking forward to this, let's go". But I KNOW when I'm done I will always think "I'm so glad I did it". Whether it was great or it was awful, I'm always so glad I'm done. I just focus on that feeling of getting in, having a shower and getting to make a big bowl of yoghurt and fruit with the calories I earned. That's where my motivation lives.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

About a month ago I did a double; 50K, followed by a marathon the following day. Twenty miles into the marathon, I was on fumes. It's a similar thing, what motivated me to get up and do the marathon, and what motivated me to keep going? Two different things, but in the context of the originator the are many parallels. What's the why?

Actually, I tend to obsess about things and at that time, running was an obsession. Until I ended up getting knee surgery. Walking is now an obsession and SUP paddling is quickly becoming one. I enjoy most of my outings, but I paddled over 5 miles alone in the rain a few days ago just because I had decided that was going to be a SUP day. When a planned outing was cancelled because of weather, I went anyway. Stubborn obsession.
  • MattQ209
    MattQ209 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm about to do W1D3 Later after work. So far I have been doing it on a Treadmill. So I can keep my walking at 3.1 MPH and my running at 6 MPH.

If I am unable to complete a work-out I plan on repeating it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Actually, I tend to obsess about things and at that time, running was an obsession. Until I ended up getting knee surgery. Walking is now an obsession and SUP paddling is quickly becoming one. I enjoy most of my outings, but I paddled over 5 miles alone in the rain a few days ago just because I had decided that was going to be a SUP day. When a planned outing was cancelled because of weather, I went anyway. Stubborn obsession.

That makes sense. For some people that's enough, for others a more extrinsic aspect is useful.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    well I did 2 days and couldnt finish due to knee and other issues it caused. I tried again and those things happened again so I decided running is NOT for me lol.but stick with it if you arent having any other issues then keep going,