Polar or Fitbit???

Options
Hey everyone,

Okay I realllllllllly want to get something that will help me accurately track the calories I burn. I'm a crazy person about tracking how many calories I consume so I want to make sure I know exactly how much I'm getting rid of.

I've been looking at the Polar FT4 and FT7 as well as the Fitbit. Feedback? Suggestions? Pros/cons? Anything???

Help! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my FitbitONE....BUT....

I strictly use running/walking as my form of excercise. If you are wanting more acurate readings that cover a variety of excercise, I would go with a HRM. I don't plan on getting rid of my Fitbit, nor do I plan on getting a HRM, because the fitbit suites my needs just perfectly. Just some food for thought....
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Okay I realllllllllly want to get something that will help me accurately track the calories I burn. I'm a crazy person about tracking how many calories I consume so I want to make sure I know exactly how much I'm getting rid of.

I've been looking at the Polar FT4 and FT7 as well as the Fitbit. Feedback? Suggestions? Pros/cons? Anything???

Help! Thanks in advance!

I have an FT4 and a Jawbone UP. Personally, if I had the money, I would not use either of these, I'd replace it with the Basis band.
  • SouperDuck
    SouperDuck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit thru the day and use a polar ft60 during hard workouts
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Polar is more accurate!
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one but ended up buying the polar ft7 HRM because I wanted to know how much I was burning EXCATLY.. Now I use both but the HRM is the one I couldn't live without.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They do different things and are intended to serve different purposes.

Get the one that meets your needs best.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you only want to track during workouts, the Polar HRM would be the better choice for you. The Fitbit tracks overall calorie burn for the whole day, so if you need help figuring out your TDEE, that would be the better option.
  • ADixie4You2Know
    ADixie4You2Know Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have both. They are two totally different things. The polar is a heartrate monitor the fitbit is a glorified pedometer. I have the polar ft7 I use it during my cardio to get my calories burned. I have an older fitbit the ultra. I wear it all day EXCEPT while doing my cardio to get my daily steps. I love them both! They have been useful tools on my weight loss journey.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 about a month ago. It's been reallllly helpful to me as a lot of my calories burned were being overestimated!
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options
    i have the pink polar ft4 and love it!
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Accuracy is a dicey topic at best. HRM's are great for steady-state cardio. So they work well for walking, running, biking and the like. If you do weights, they don't work as well, unless you are doing HIIT. They do seem to work well for circuit training, as the goal there is to keep your heart rate up.

I love my fitbit, as it tracks my activity throughout the day. I find I get more exercise calories that way, as I only wear my HRM during longer workouts - a walk or bike ride, in my case.

If you can swing it, I recommend both, as I use both constantly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fitbit tracks everything you do all day, every day.

HRMs are mediocre-to-good (depending on how closely your VO2max matches up with what the HRM manufacturer guesses) for steady-state cardio workouts and nothing else.

Different devices for different purposes.
  • dreams_only_last
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and I love it! Although, I'm not so intent on tracking exactly how many calories I'm burning.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I settled on the Polar FT4 and I'm really happy with it.Polar got a lot of good reviews both here and elsewhere on the web. If I remember right, the FT7 gave you connectivity with the Polar site that I wasn't interested in so it wasn't worth the extra money for me. Previous models of the FT models didn't allow the user to change the batteries, but that's since been changed - I changed mine a few months ago with no problems. I've gone swimming with my FT4 with no problems, you just have to be careful not to push any button under water. The chest strap is very comfortable and I don't even notice it, and the "watch" piece is easy to set up and use.

But the Polar HRM's are only for steady-state cardio and don't work well unless your HR is raised, so it won't work well for weight lifting or for use all day.

I've been looking fat Fitbit to get a better idea of my TDEE an the bonus of the sleep monitor. I've kinda decided on either the Fitbit One or the Flex but I haven't purchased one yet. You wear them all day and they both do the same thing, but you wear the Flex on your wrist and the One is more like a pedometer that you'd wear on your waistband or on your bra.

I found my Polar FT4 online for about $65 and you can find deals on them sometimes. The Fitbits run about $100 and I haven't seen any difference in pricing between retailers or online.

Gadgets can be really motivating - Have fun!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit ... it has so many interesting graphs, you can actually SEE your day, the spikes as your activity level is up. It's very motivating to me, and the total burn each day is basically the TDEE everyone talks about here. The Fitbit picks up ALL your daily activity, and sometimes that will really open your eyes as to how active you are (or are not) when you are not exercising.

I did buy a Polar FT4 and it does provide some good feedback too. But you have to put it on before each workout (I do SEVERAL workouts during the day, so this actually is a big deal for me) ... and it's just a little uncomfortable for me. I'm always very aware that I am wearing it. The Fitbit is just a part of me, I wear it all the time (even to sleep, as it tracks that too).
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I use the Polar FT for swimming and as far as I know, the calorie burn is accurate. I also use it to stay in my target heart range while exercising.
    I use the Fitbit One daily to track steps and sleep. I like the Fitbit for determining exercise calories because it deducts your base calorie burn from the "extra" calories before determining how many calories to add to your diet for the day.
    They're both great, I use them for different reasons.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar & LOVE it!

Not used a fitbit but a girl at my gym does and sounds like its geared more towards runners??

X
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have a Polar & LOVE it!

Not used a fitbit but a girl at my gym does and sounds like its geared more towards runners??

X

Quite the opposite. HRMs are best suited for steady state cardio like running. The Fitbit tracks all the little stuff you do throughout the day.
  • butreally12
    butreally12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know this is kind of off topic, but for those of you who have responded saying you use the polar ft4 or ft7... has anybody found it to OVERrestimate calories burned? I made a post about this earlier but did not receive any definite answers. I have my height, weight, gender, and age set correctly and it seems to work for other activities, but for jogging it records a crazy burn! (Today, for instance, I jogged 6 miles and it said I burned 849 calories.) Anyone?? :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I know this is kind of off topic, but for those of you who have responded saying you use the polar ft4 or ft7... has anybody found it to OVERrestimate calories burned? I made a post about this earlier but did not receive any definite answers. I have my height, weight, gender, and age set correctly and it seems to work for other activities, but for jogging it records a crazy burn! (Today, for instance, I jogged 6 miles and it said I burned 849 calories.) Anyone?? :)

Happens to a lot of people. HRMs guess at your VO2max, a measure of how efficiently your body can deliver oxygen to body tissues. As you get more fit, your VO2max goes up. If the HRM thinks your VO2max is higher than it is, it's going to assume that you're delivering much more oxygen to your tissues, and therefore burning many more calories, than you actually are.