Weight loss

Options
I've decided to lose some weight. I currently weigh 243, and I'm 5 11. My target goal is 200, which according to my BMI is still obese. Currently I load trailers by hand (about 2k boxes per trailer) for 40 hours a week. So safe to say I'm active. Next week I'm going back to being a mechanic so I won't be nearly as active I dont think. I was wondering if I should lower my setting.

Second question I have pertains to my workout. I am doing a small circuit to get back into the mix.

Squats
Sit up
Push up
Plank
Burpee
Back extension
30 second interval
10 second rest

It dont seem like much, but I'm sweating and my heart is pounding when I'm done. What I'm wondering is if this good to start as then slowly add in an exercise every couple weeks. Or even doing this 2x a day?

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I would lower my activity setting, I'm guessing your calorie level should be between 1600-2000, let the MFP goal setting software help you. You don't mention any cardio in your workout. Do you walk, run, bike? I'd recommend you add that to the mix, you can eat more that way. At 243 a walk every evening is probably best for starters. I was 6' 248 and my knees couldn't take running until I lost about 25. I saw a blog that said if your BMI is over 30 you are more likely to injure yourself running. Your strength plan looks pretty good, add pull ups (pulls and pushes upper and lower body).
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You can lift weights, be very active, and still not lose weight. Losing weight requires you to eat less than you burn. So, I'd recommend focusing on not exceeding your calorie goal and using exercise to help with that. Exercise also for fitness/overall health.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    quasi626 wrote: »
    I've decided to lose some weight. I currently weigh 243, and I'm 5 11. My target goal is 200, which according to my BMI is still obese. Currently I load trailers by hand (about 2k boxes per trailer) for 40 hours a week. So safe to say I'm active. Next week I'm going back to being a mechanic so I won't be nearly as active I dont think. I was wondering if I should lower my setting.

Second question I have pertains to my workout. I am doing a small circuit to get back into the mix.

Squats
    Sit up
    Push up
    Plank
    Burpee
    Back extension
    30 second interval
    10 second rest

It dont seem like much, but I'm sweating and my heart is pounding when I'm done. What I'm wondering is if this good to start as then slowly add in an exercise every couple weeks. Or even doing this 2x a day?

First, dump the sit-ups, they're really not a very good exercise.

Second. Pushup, Plank, Burpee. All the same exercise in different forms. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but be mindful of that. and maybe do something like Squat, pushup, Back lunge, Plank, Squat, Burpee.

Third, as above, diet(aka Calories in) is the most important factor to successful weight loss.