Help! MFP Extra Calories Burned confusion

So I walked 10,004 steps today and MFP calculated under the exercise section in my daily log that I only burned 84 extra calories... But I hear most people are supposed to burn 300-500 calories from walking 10,000 steps! I weigh 130 but I don't think that would decrease my burn all the way to 84... Maybe I just don't get how the MFP extra calories feature works. Will someone please explain how they calculate this? Thank you!

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    How long was the distance you walked? They may be calculating it like: 130lbs x 2miles (guess) x .33 = 85

Also, did you add any other exercise today? What is your activity level set to?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2018
    Is this from a synced device?

Double check your activity level. The higher it is set the more activity you have to do before you begin seeing adjustments.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it is likely because of your set activity level. if it is more than sedentary, it expects you to move a certain amount every day. so the 84 calories were what was above and beyond your expected movement levels
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What's your activity level set to? Even sedentary is going to account for up to around 5,000 steps. If your activity level is set higher, you're not going to get substantial adjustments because the activity is already accounted for in your activity level.