Right Diet

Options
Hey,

Is going for a low carb diet really the way to go for when wanting to lose weight, particularly when you like to exercise.

Tanya

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    tandas1986 wrote: »
    Hey,

Is going for a low carb diet really the way to go for when wanting to lose weight, particularly when you like to exercise.

Tanya

A low carb diet will certainly fit the bill but it is just one diet model that you could try.

I personally like LCHF and find it easy to follow and helps me eat intuitively and lose weight.

However you could get the same results from calorie counting and just eating in moderation.

Both models have merits, try several models and see which one beat fits you and your life style.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Tanya

A low carb diet will certainly fit the bill but it is just one diet model that you could try.

I personally like LCHF and find it easy to follow and helps me eat intuitively and lose weight.

However you could get the same results from calorie counting and just eating in moderation.

Both models have merits, try several models and see which one beat fits you and your life style.

A low carb diet will only fit the bill if it creates a calorie deficit for the user, I think you meant to say...
  • tennisdude2004
    edited May 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Hey,

Tanya

A low carb diet will only fit the bill if it creates a calorie deficit for the user, I think you meant to say...

I was assuming the OP’s intention was to eat in a deficit as they were looking to lose weight.

The same goes for calorie counting and eating in moderation, both of those will also only fit the bill if the OP creates a calorie deficit!

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Tanya

I was assuming the OP’s intention was to eat in a deficit as they were looking to lose weight.

You’d be surprised how many people, seduced by all the claims of ‘the pounds melt off you’ ‘eat high fat to lose fat’, ‘ignore what you’ve heard about weight loss you really can eat pork rinds and drink heavy cream and still lose weight’ don’t actually know that a calorie deficit is still required even if you choose the oh so trendy keto diet.

In fact there’s a prolific and vocal keto and IF proponent claiming on every thread that a deficit is NOT required. Important to make that distinction, don’t you think, since OP seems to have been told that there is some particular advantage to low carb for weight loss, when in fact there is no specific weight loss advantage in the long run compared to any other diet that creates the same calorie deficit...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Hey,

Tanya

You’d be surprised how many people, seduced by all the claims of ‘the pounds melt off you’ ‘eat high fat to lose fat’, ‘ignore what you’ve heard about weight loss you really can eat pork rinds and drink heavy cream and still lose weight’ don’t actually know that a calorie deficit is still required even if you choose the oh so trendy keto diet.

In fact there’s a prolific and vocal keto and IF proponent claiming on every thread that a deficit is NOT required. Important to make that distinction, don’t you think, since OP seems to have been told that there is some particular advantage to low carb for weight loss, when in fact there is no specific weight loss advantage in the long run compared to any other diet that creates the same calorie deficit...

I certainly don’t support the idea that LCHF works outside of the realms of CICO.

I do think for many it does have advantage over eating in moderation or calorie counting. I personally find it easy to eat intuitively and keep within my CICO.

It also includes my favourite foods so that’s a bonus.

I agree it’s no better or worse than any other model of controlling calorie intake. It’s just another option for people to try and help them succeed!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Tanya

Hi Tanya. The low carb diet requires a learning curve and it involves restrictions which are not at all necessary to lose weight. Ideally you would not have any restrictions you don't personally need. The "right" diet is one that works for you and involves the foods you like to eat so you don't feel deprived.

I think the best place to start is entering your information into MFP selecting a reasonable loss per week and start logging your food. As time moves forward you will learn about what you need to feel satisfied if it doesn't happen immediately. As needed people here can help you by making suggestions for experimentation until you dial in your own personal diet plan.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The right diet is one that you can stick with and that gives you a calorie deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    The right diet is one that you can stick with and that gives you a calorie deficit.

/thread
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If you LOVE carbs, like many of us (not all of us), then low carb is going to be more difficult to stick to and you could end up either 'falling off the wagon' or miserable. I choose not to be miserable and just stick to watching my calories and eating what I like.

ht5birtro8kr.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey,

Tanya

If you have any type of intense exercise (HIIT, lifting or anything that needs explosive power) moderate to higher carb diets would be more ideal. While some can strive with low carb diets, those people aren't as common. Personally, low carb dieting doesn't work for me. Too little food volume, it hurts my performance and i was always ravenous.

But you could always play around with your macros to see how you respond.. in the end, you need a diet that supports your goals and that helps you stay on track.