Which calorie calculation is right?

Options
Ok which one is correct?
On the elliptical trainer i can work for 30 minutes and burn off 450kcal using the 'standard quick start' option the next day i discovered the calories option. If i use the select calorie goal, adding age, height and weight it says i have burnt off 600kcal in a 30 mnute exercise.
Then when i programme MFP with 30 minutes elliptical it comes in at 441kcal.
Which one is right? i always use the same settings around level 6/7 difficultly and have gradually increased this over the months from level one etc so is the calculation with my wieght, height and effort loaded up the best or do i take the lowest option.
Which ever is best i seem to be losing weight.

Replies

• S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    Does either option work off your heart rate?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If none of the 3 options takes into account your heart rate I would use the lowest number.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    There really is no way of knowing, so I always use the lower number.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't quick start. If you can at least put in your age and weight, do that. It'll be more accurate. Usually machines are more accurate than MFP. I did fine going off what the machines told me and eating back all my exercise calories for awhile, then I got a heart rate monitor and now I know I have the most accurate estimation.
  • sexyvirgo911
    Options
    If you dont have a heart rate monitor, I would trust the Age, weight & height. At least you get at close as possible.
  • kerrera
    kerrera Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    All the options use the heart rate giving me a lowest highest result .
    You know yourself the more you lose, the more exercise you get, the fitter you get the more you can do and i have upped the difficulty so maybe i am burning more than i was to start with. Might stick to putting in the information and see what happens.
    As long as the weight comes off and i keep exercising and watching my food its immaterial.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    None of them are probably right. If you can, invest in a heart rate monitar, I love mine and its the most accurate thing you can use.