Natural Sugar?

Options
TMcSter
TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
My Dr told me to cut sugar and carbs out of my diet as much as possible however, I am finding there is a lot of sugar in milk and fruits.

While these are not the foods that made me overweight in the first place what other foods do you enjoy that are lower in natural sugar?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me to cut sugar and carbs out of my diet as much as possible however, I am finding there is a lot of sugar in milk and fruits.

While these are not the foods that made me overweight in the first place what other foods do you enjoy that are lower in natural sugar?

And metabolically what is the distinction between natural and unnatural sugars?
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

about 50
  • TMcSter
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't know. Is there not a difference?

If anyone is watching their sugar intake what foods do you enjoy that are low in sugar?
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I don't know. Is there not a difference?

If anyone is watching their sugar intake what foods do you enjoy that are low in sugar?
    [/quote]

Sugar is sugar
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

about 50

weird....always thought it was 42.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Are you diabetic or insulin resistant?
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

about 50

weird....always thought it was 42.

You're both wrong
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    just substitute salt. they're both white and crystalline.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    just substitute salt. they're both white and crystalline.

That's racist!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Fake sugar makes me toot :embarassed:

Sugars in fruit and milk don't seem to bother me. I use honey in my oatmeal and that's been great. I love peanut butter and it's very low in sugar.

When I want baked sweets, I make them myself. I won't buy them from the store. That way, I know I really want the yummies if I'm willing to make a mess in my kitchen. My own sweets also taste better than anything I can get at the store. I regularly make chocolate chip cookies and lemon bars. Recently, I tried lemon blueberry cupcakes- all from scratch and they were amazeballs.

ETA Some fruits have lower sugar content than others. Grapes are very high but I still eat them regularly... 'cause they keep me regular :glasses:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

I'm willing to bet they played a part....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Was there a specific reason your Dr suggested cutting sugar and carbs? (Diabetic or weight loss?)

The reason I ask is that if it's weight loss related you may be better served seeing a Registered Dietician than your family dr. Doctors spend about 15 minutes on nutrition during their studies (unless the go after it as a specialty) and frequently are influenced by the popular media much the same way that lay people are....
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Your doctor may have meant you should cut out refined sugar and starchy foods, not everything that naturally contains sugars or carbohydrates. Would suggest you ask him for clarification.
  • megan020103
    Options
    I get very low blood sugar after eating foods with sugar. I cut out white sugar and all processed forms completely. If necessary, I use pure maple syrup or honey but maybe eat that once or twice a week. Fruit doesn't bother me, but white breads, rice, pasta etc do. I eat mainly veggies, protein, and healthy fat with one or 2 servings of fruit a day. Since eating this way - I have not had a single issue with my blood sugar. I eat 4 small meals (between 250-350 calories each).
  • TMcSter
    Options
    [/quote]

Was there a specific reason your Dr suggested cutting sugar and carbs? (Diabetic or weight loss?)

The reason I ask is that if it's weight loss related you may be better served seeing a Registered Dietician than your family dr. Doctors spend about 15 minutes on nutrition during their studies (unless the go after it as a specialty) and frequently are influenced by the popular media much the same way that lay people are....
    [/quote]

For weight loss because I have so much weight to lose. His speaking to me about it was very brief but he eluded to the fact that sugar turns into fat and I need to watch my sugar intake. Seeing a Registered Dietician may be the way to go but I was hoping I could try this on my own.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    change your milk to unsweetened almond or coconut
    if you want fruit eat the ones with less sugar, google them.
    Eat a high fiber high protein diet
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Nevermind found it!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Let me start by saying be careful with this. Eating lower carb is good for a lot of people. But be careful not to eat too much protein. If you are eating this way for insulin resistance or similar issues, your body can react the same way to protein as it does to carbs when it comes to insulin. I highly recommend looking into low GI eating (http://www.livestrong.com/article/207153-low-glycemic-menu-plans/). This teaches you the difference between different carbs and ways to eat sugar.

I am fully keto (very low carb - http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf) so I don't use milk at all any more. I use a combination of heavy cream and almond milk to supplement. Lower sugar fruits are usually berries, particularly black berries, blueberries and dark cherries.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

[/quote]

For weight loss because I have so much weight to lose. His speaking to me about it was very brief but he eluded to the fact that sugar turns into fat and I need to watch my sugar intake. Seeing a Registered Dietician may be the way to go but I was hoping I could try this on my own.
    [/quote]

I just want to chime in here. I have been to a registered dietician and they gave me advice that was completely the opposite of what I actually needed to do. However, I only had one doctor (out of at least 10) who listened to me and believed me and finally put me on the right track. My main point is listen to whoever you visit and then research things yourself as well. For years I was told to restrict calories and fat and all my issues were worse. I am finally watching my carb intake after the one doctor finally listened to me and I am feeling amazing!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you misunderstood him or at least i hope so...