Dieting with food allergies questions

Options
Hello,
I am new to MyFitnessPal. I started it because I wanted to get healthy again. Being a truck driver then a desk jockey, I am not in the best of shape. I have looked at many diets and recommended eating and snacking, but they will not work for me. I have recently found out that I am allergic to nuts, egg whites, and beans. On top of that, I have a lactose sensitivity. Most of the items that are recommended to eat when trying to lose weight. Does anyone have any recommendations on snacks or other replacements for some of these recommended items?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I find eating easier when I stick to foods I like and/or can eat rather than foods someone else has told me to eat. I suggest you do this too, just making sure to weigh/measure and tracking accurately to enable you to stick to your calorie goal
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am new to MyFitnessPal. I started it because I wanted to get healthy again. Being a truck driver then a desk jockey, I am not in the best of shape. I have looked at many diets and recommended eating and snacking, but they will not work for me. I have recently found out that I am allergic to nuts, egg whites, and beans. On top of that, I have a lactose sensitivity. Most of the items that are recommended to eat when trying to lose weight. Does anyone have any recommendations on snacks or other replacements for some of these recommended items?

Thank you in advance.

Jerky? High protein/high fat, easy to carry, relatively filling.

Unless you've got high blood pressure/sodium issues as well.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You may also consider consulting a dietician
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I think you might have the wrong impression that there are certain foods that you need to eat to lose weight.

I can assure you that this is not the case.

Your body stores fat for times when there is insufficient food. At such times the body burns fat for energy to survive. This is how you lose fat - eat insufficient amount of food. Any food. By amount I mean in caloric content.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Log your meals keeping within the calorie deficit recommended. You will lose weight. Are you saying you do better without snacking? Then plan your three squares a day. You can even pre log your day to see if you are staying on plan.

I have noticed that people with a lot of food restrictions tend to focus on the things they can’t have, forgetting all the foods they can enjoy.

Here are some handy substitutions.

Olive oil for butter
    Soy/Almond/Cashew “milks” for milk
    Nuts - skip them
    Egg whites - Substitutions https://www.google.ca/amp/s/onceamonthmeals.com/blog/series/kitchen-tips/egg-substitutes-for-cooking/amp/

You can eat all the fish, meats, veggies, fruits, pastas, starchy veggies, rice, and baked goods.

There are traditional Swedish and Japanese breakfasts that use fish as the base protein (smoked fish, Miso soup). You might try that. Or have yourself a morning shake with banana, spinach, and vegetarian protein.

Lunch can be a soup or salad with a wrap or sandwich.

Dinner can be anything really. Pick your meat, starchy side and a healthy serving of vegetables.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Are you currently driving a truck or a desk?

Advice for one may not be appropriate for the other even though much the same time is spent sitting.

At a desk you can drink more as it's no problem to pop up and dehydrate. Less convenient if you're driving.

For the most part, eat what you like, track calories if you need to and let the process work.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Desk driving. That’s a new one. I also assume you are talking about “rehydrating”.
  • stanmann571
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Desk driving. That’s a new one. I also assume you are talking about “rehydrating”.

No, dehydrating. AKA urination. :) Can't do that whenever you want if you're OTR. Well I guess you could if you wear a bag.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is because you have a calorie deficit. Eat the foods you can eat that fit your calorie goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Ya, I've given up on all named diets because they are too restrictive for me. I just learned over time what satiates me and eat more of that and less of stuff that fails at filling me for the calories.

For me it's more protein, fruit, and vegetables, and less baked goods and ice cream.

You might find this article on cheeses to eat when you're lactose intolerant helpful: https://lifehacker.com/the-best-cheeses-to-eat-if-youre-lactose-intolerant-1563386663
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of food allergies, too. It sucks.

Rest assured, you already received the best advice possible. Throw all that conventional “eat these foods, restrict those foods” mindset out the window! What you want to create is a sustainable way of eating that will work for you for the rest of your life. Let that sink in... the rest of your life.

Got it? Good. That means eat whatever you’ve always eaten - just less of it. If you plug in your stats into MFP accurately, you’ll get your target calorie goal. Eat all your normal foods within that goal.

To be clear: You could eat donuts all day every day and lose weight if you stay at or below your calorie target. I wouldn’t recommend this approach for a variety of reasons - but none of those reasons would be connected to weight loss goals.

Good luck on your journey!

PS - read the sticky at the top of this forum page as it has a lot of useful info for someone just starting out.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my meal and shopping planned by platejoy.com
    My wife is allergic to specific nuts and other items.
    The allergy info is set up in our profile so no recipes include them.
    Individual calorie goals are also in the profile.
    We've been enjoying their recipes since January and almost never cook the same meal twice.
    They provide a shopping list but we shop ourselves.
    They will send your list to instacart if you want
  • aldeataxservices
    aldeataxservices Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice.
    I am sitting behind a desk now.

I was looking through a lot of diet information, and a lot of items said to snack and eat about six times a fay. What it says to eat, I am allergic to. I really appreciate all the assistance.

I am taking a look at the resources that were recommended. I really appreciate all the help! Thank you!!!

• stanmann571
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice.
    I am sitting behind a desk now.

I was looking through a lot of diet information, and a lot of items said to snack and eat about six times a fay. What it says to eat, I am allergic to. I really appreciate all the assistance.

I am taking a look at the resources that were recommended. I really appreciate all the help! Thank you!!!

6 times a day is one Way of Eating(WOE) It's not the only one.

At the end of the day, if that works best for you in maintaining satiety, great. IF not, You can try a traditional 3 MOD, or OMAD(one meal a day) AKA Intermitent fasting(IF), or One large meal and a couple snacks. The only thing that matters at the end of the day, are you eating within the appropriate calorie range for weight loss, and is your WOE supporting you in that. If the WOE you choose gets in your way. change it. You can also try High carb or high fat. Moderate or high protein, etc.