Food intake for cycle event training

Options
I have signed up for Velosouth on 23 September, a 100 mile in one day event.
So I'm now cycling 3x a week with increasing length of cycle time over the next few months and do a strength workout twice a week.
Due to shifts I have a 5-hour break between breakfast (7am) and lunch (12pm). I finish work at 5.15pm and 4 days out of 7 I start my training straight after work.
Any advice on what to eat and when because of the intense training?
Many thanks.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    You can get estimates for your calorie burn for your training rides from a number of free apps. (RideWithGPS is very good.) I like to spread out eating those calories back over the week (rather than catch up in a day). You need to get good protein to build up the muscles (at least 1g protein per kg bodyweight per day). Plus a good mix of fats and complex carbs. MFP can help you not to overeat (which is sometimes hard on the off days). I also like to do something else on the off days, such as walk, just to keep the legs moving.

Before a training ride, depending on your ride length, a bit of extra carb is helpful. The classic is a banana. During longer rides (based on how you feel) you can have another shot of carbs: energy drink, Gu, banana, whatever. If it's hot, drink water with electrolyte powder added.

During the actual ride, you can eat some carbs on intervals based on how you feel.

Have a blast!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One for you @sijomial
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    On rides over 2 hours ...

500 cal breakfast or pre-ride snack
    100-200 cal per hour while riding

Eat whatever you like but probably keep it rather bland and easy to digest.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Chapeau!

I'm doing the Velo South too. :smiley:
    (Look for an old bloke on a red Roubaix who is slow up the hills and fast down them!)

Your need to fuel is probably a bit different to me depending on riding experience, size and speed.
    (I don't need to fuel even fast rides under 2hrs, I may well be bigger than you, speed makes a big difference to rate of calorie burns....)

Would recommend getting the Strava free app, apart from being motivational seeing your times improve the calorie counts have proved very reasonable for me over many thousands of miles. I also use a Garmin Edge for training and navigation (the calories broadly agree with Strava).

Carbs are king for cycling performance, there's a good reason for the coffee and cake culture.

There is quite a bit of personal preference in fuelling long rides but my choice is:
    High carb, low fat, moderate protein, low fibre.
    A load of granola, porridge or muesli with milk and a scoop of protein powder before the ride.
    I mix my own sports drink (glucose/fructose/electrolytes) and get a lot of my calorie needs from that but also snack once an hour on things like cereal bars and Soreen malt loaf.

On a Century ride I aim for 90g of carbs an hour (360cals) which is the rough maximum you can digest while exercising hard.

Do experiment on your training rides, but don't try a new fuelling regime on the event itself.

Very happy to help a fellow cyclist, feel free to PM me if I can assist in any way.