H Pylori diagnosis

Options
It all started with a sore throat, unproductive cough, and feeling of not being able to catch my breath. I went to my doc and she said she thought it was allergies causing my asthma to act up. She gave me Prednisone, Singulair and a refill for my inhaler and sent me on my way. After a week on the medicine, I was not feeling better, actually feeling worse with the most horrible chest pain. Bad enough I ended up going to the ER. They ran tests and told me I had Costochondritis. A pulled muscle in my chest and gave me muscle relaxers and naproxen. Another week went by with no relief so I made a second appointment with my regular doctor. She took blood work and decided I needed to see a gastroenterologist. Saw that doctor a few days later who basically just treated me for constipation...... later the same day I got a call from the nurse at my regular doctor's office who told me my blood work came back and even though I tested negative for H Pylori that is what they are going to treat me for. My blood work did show an infection, and that with all the meds they had me on probably caused the false negative. Finally started the 2 different antibiotics and the prescription strength ant acid pill. The nurse was not able to tell me much about H Pylori and so all I know is from what I have read online. It sounds like it can be hard to get rid of. Has anyone else ever dealt with H Pylori? Were you able to get rid of it? Any iformation on the subject is appreciated. Thank you and sorry for such a looong post.

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I didn't have it but my sister did. She was able to get rid of it after about a month of antibiotics. She felt better after the first week and good as new after the month was over. Just take the meds as prescribed and you should be fine. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Arilynngma
    Arilynngma Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you jefamer2017! I hope so! I'm starting to think it has been the cause of varrying other symptoms also that I have dealt with for a while now. Knowing I may be feeling better soon has put a smile on my face today.
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My sister has h plyori, unfortunately for her it seems to be a recurring thing. It happens to her at least once a year. Idk if it has something to do with her having multiple issue with her stomach plus Cushing syndrome and pcos that makes it come back every year, but her symptoms come back and she seems to usually end up on antibiotics for it. It seems quite painful, so I hope you get to feeling better soon.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I know cabbage juice was given to patients for centuries to cure peptic ulcers and it worked amazingly well. H Pylori causes peptic ulcers and it's thought that cabbage juice kills it (and not the beneficial bacteria). The problem with rounds and rounds of antibiotics is they kill the good along with the bad. Here's a good research article summarizing food as potential therapy against H Pylori.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4465045/
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Triple therapy has a 70+% eradication rate. Take the meds as prescribed and hopefully the odds will be in your favor.

Also, change your toothbrush.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My oldest son was diagnosed with this a few years back. Took months to figure out and 1,000's of dollars in ER/doctor's visits, but a gastro finally scoped him and took a sample to get the verdict/results. Probably had to be treated for over a month and then they scoped him again to test and make sure it was gone. That bug is a *kitten*!
  • Arilynngma
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your information and suggestions! When I get home tonight I plan on reading up on all of them. Never thought about the toothbrush... great idea! This bug is bad and very painful. No idea how long I've actually had it but haven't felt like myself in a long time. I'm just hoping the rest of my family doesn't get it. Thanks again!!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had it. Took the meds and it relieved my issues. I had suffered from problems with my stomach most of my life. I couldn't eat apples or red licorice before but now can. I'm sure I'd had it for years. The antibiotic I was on was nasty tho! I would wake up in the night from the bitter taste in my mouth. Some call it metalic but it tasted bitter to me.
  • Arilynngma
    Options
    I had it. Took the meds and it relieved my issues. I had suffered from problems with my stomach most of my life. I couldn't eat apples or red licorice before but now can. I'm sure I'd had it for years. The antibiotic I was on was nasty tho! I would wake up in the night from the bitter taste in my mouth. Some call it metalic but it tasted bitter to me.

I also have had stomach issues for years!! I was thinking the same thing that I have had this for a long time. The medicine is horrible. I have that taste in my mouth for hours after taking the medicine. I'll deal with it though if it gets rid of this and I feel better!