Resistance bands before or after lifting?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this topic. I've been using resistance bands as a warmup forever, to activate the muscles that I will be working. However, I've been hearing about using resistance bands at the end as a "burnout."

How/when do you use your resistance bands?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You can do both. I typically do before for activation then if I have time, and depending on what I did I will do a burnout at the end if I want that extra pump.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    Good question, I’ve never thought about this. I always used them during wrestling season as a warm up before practice and meets. Not to mention a lot of rehabbing use and I still use them occasionally before and sometimes incorporated in to a work out. But I honestly have no idea if there is a best time.

I would imagine it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I know several trainers that I can ask. I’ll let you know what they say.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    They're pretty versatile. I use mini bands in my warm up and at the end of my workout. I incorporate heavy resistance bands in the main part of my workout. I workout at home and use resistance bands in place of the cable machine.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Good question, I’ve never thought about this. I always used them during wrestling season as a warm up before practice and meets. Not to mention a lot of rehabbing use and I still use them occasionally before and sometimes incorporated in to a work out. But I honestly have no idea if there is a best time.

I would imagine it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I know several trainers that I can ask. I’ll let you know what they say.

Awesome! I’d love to hear the answers.

And good point ladies... no reason why you can’t do before and after!

How many movements/reps/sets are you typically doing for a resistance band warm up vs burnout?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2018
    Typically for activation I do one set and pick and chose certain exercises (depending on what I am doing that day, if I have the same band work in the program that day I leave those out), I don't push myself as hard since I want to warm up the glutes but not fatigue them. Basically I want to see and feel a small pump. After a workout you can do at least two sets or more of each workout. For example I really like this one (Bret's Band Glute Circuit)

1. Glute Bridge: 10 reps, 3-sec pause
    2. Squat: 10 reps, 3-sec pause
    3. Lateral Walk: 20 steps each way
    4. Quadruped Hip Extension: 30 reps/side
    5. Standing Hip Extension/Abduction: 30 reps/side
    6. Seated Hip Abduction: 30 reps, 3-levels
    7. Hip-Hinge Abduction: 10 reps, 3-sec pause

Ooo and frog pumps ... those are awesome to incorporate as a finisher
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Yes, those are all great! That's typically what I do as well. Sometimes I've wondered if I should be doing more sets, but as you said, the purpose is not fatigue.

I'll be starting Strong Curves in a couple of weeks after I'm finished with the program I'm on now. Can't wait!
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Never tried them. I warm up for squat, by squatting, bench press by bench pressing, etc. etc. I know... old school, but always in a hurry.

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Usually always as a warmup..if I have the time I will fatigue myself at the end and finish with them.
  • From9five
    From9five Posts: 60 Member
    I use resistance bands both before and after. Before for upper body warm up type movements: band pull-aparts, face pulls, chest fly, etc. And after for both upper and lower body stretching, depending on what i worked that day.
  • I use before and during but certainly nothing wrong with using after either.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Typically for activation I do one set and pick and chose certain exercises (depending on what I am doing that day, if I have the same band work in the program that day I leave those out), I don't push myself as hard since I want to warm up the glutes but not fatigue them. Basically I want to see and feel a small pump. After a workout you can do at least two sets or more of each workout. For example I really like this one (Bret's Band Glute Circuit)

1. Glute Bridge: 10 reps, 3-sec pause
    2. Squat: 10 reps, 3-sec pause
    3. Lateral Walk: 20 steps each way
    4. Quadruped Hip Extension: 30 reps/side
    5. Standing Hip Extension/Abduction: 30 reps/side
    6. Seated Hip Abduction: 30 reps, 3-levels
    7. Hip-Hinge Abduction: 10 reps, 3-sec pause

Ooo and frog pumps ... those are awesome to incorporate as a finisher

Great list and...

8. Tie downs for moving stuff