Alternative to squats

Options
I used to LOVE to squat back in my more athletic days. However, I'm now a 34 year old who has had a total hip replacement. Can anyone recommend a good substitute?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would get with a Physical Therapist and have them prescribe something for you. I would bet that if you work up to it properly that you can get back to squatting, but I don't feel comfortable telling you to go try without getting the blessing of a professional who can see your specific limitations.

I know the one PT group here allows you to come in and work with them for ~$15 a session for things like this, a BARGAIN for safe training.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed. There really isn't a substitute that comes close. Check with your medical team to see what is feasible for you. You don't want to stress the implants more than you need to.

My guess is that you will have to have the implants replaced somewhere down the road, right? Best to do what you can both to get in shape AND to insure that the second replacement is as long away as you can manage it.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good points. Yes, I'll have to have the artificial joint replaced multiple times (they are expected to last 10-15 years depending on activity level). I'm hoping to take another 20-25 lbs off and strengthen my legs to extend the life of the replacement as long as possible.