Is it possible to lose 1 kg of muscle mass in a week?

Options
I am using a smart scale to measure my weight weekly. The scale indicated that I had loss 0.9 kg. But its all from muscle mass. Is it possible?
I have been lifting 3 to 4 times a week. And doing very little cardio. Diet consists of 1300 to 1400 calories per day.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    I would guess no. Smart scales are not very accurate and easily get thrown off by water weight distribution.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    A "smart scale" attempts to estimate body composition from a body impedance measurement. This is fraught with issues, not least is that this measurement is as affected by the water content in your body as anything else. It can even be thrown off if your feet are sweaty.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am using a smart scale to measure my weight weekly. The scale indicated that I had loss 0.9 kg. But its all from muscle mass. Is it possible?

No, but it's very possible for a smart scale to err by that much.

If you want to put your mind at rest, have a quick read through this: https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Your scale isn't so smart.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Those things are horribly inaccurate. Small changes in hydration yield wide variances in body composition. To lose an appreciable amount of muscle mass in that short of time would require something along the lines of the "Japanese POW" diet.

If it's not too late I'd suggest returning it for a refund.